Hot Rod Forum banner

PPG Omni Vs PPG Deltron

30K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  BarryK 
#1 ·
Is Deltron base really that much better then Omni? What do you folks think? Deltron at our local dealer is 3 times as much as Omni! :confused:

#2 ·
Omni isn't bad, but the deltron will normally have better coverage and match then omni, more brilliant pearls and metallics?? The omni has less tints and toners on the mixing bank I believe. I heard rumors that omni was an older line of paint and was made into the omni line, not sure how true this is. It could be an enamel based that is also can be mixed as a base. Allow longer flash times and don't rush and you should be fine. Not sure. I used a lot of omni over the years, but now use limco for a cheaper base as I seem to get better coverage, and other brands of clear. I may just be rambling, I'll let the chemists who might know better tell you any differences between the two other then coverage and match. I also heard that matrix paint was started by some people who left ppg. It might just be the same thing as made by ppg, and costs less. I am not sure of any of this, just relaying rumors.

#3 ·
ppg paint

i use ppg deltron and love it except the price i have painted my boats and now am useing it on my 23 t. the paint is easy to apply and i use the concept 2002 clear to get a great shine. i have walk across my bow of my boat many time and buffed it to look good again the price is high i just spent 1200 on the new paint dave

#4 ·
Deltron is far superior to Omni, especially in the high metallics and pearls. If I was doing a base color like plain black or red I would use Omni. Omni was an old line that PPG bought out, quite similar to DuPont and Nason. Most if not all of the industrial line of paints PPG offers will be Omni. I have known people who have substituted Omni reducers, activators and clears for PPG and have had good results. the way I look at it is if I am spending $400 a gallon for PPG paint I can darn well afford to use the PPG reducers and clears. Yes, I complain and raise a stink about the price, but there is not a whole lot I can do about it at this point. I am too far in to my project to start cutting corners now.

Vince

#6 ·
always have wondered if they understand the huge spread drives people nuts!
omni dodge red $90 (harbor freight quality?), deltron dodge red $600 (porter cable quality?)

makes ya choke but as a % of the total car build cost...tend to agree with 302/z28....don't cut corners on the final step
(maybe a qt of omni and omni clear to do the inside of the floors/trunk/etc to have more deltron/concept for the outside and left over for a fender bender color match?)

#7 ·
red65mustang said:
always have wondered if they understand the huge spread drives people nuts!
omni dodge red $90 (harbor freight quality?), deltron dodge red $600 (porter cable quality?)
match?)
Yes the spread is huge, but there is also a difference of day and night.
Jim pretty well summed it up.

Lets see, you can buy core resins for $1 a pound and as high as mid teens a pound.

Same with "red tint powders" for making color, one is $1500 a bag and with good reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.