Hot Rod Forum banner

PPG primer.

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  E.Furgal 
#1 ·
I'm prepping my bodypannels , doors and tailgate.
Frontwings and frontdoors are now in PPG epoxy primer and I actually like the looks in grey primer.
Is it possible to finish the primer with a PPG clearcoat? Would that be durable?
Maybe someone else already did it this way or a better way?:mwink:

#2 ·
I dont know about clear coating over primer... but I cant really think of a reason it wouldnt work. Its essentially the same as shooting a single stage on there but without any pigment. Dont see why you couldnt block it out with 600 and clear.

You could check into some pastel new car colors, I know I have seen some Kia's or similar running around with what to me looks like clearcoated primer, but Im sure its BC/cc... You should ask at the paint store

#4 · (Edited)
I don't recommend it but have done it for a few customers in the P.p.g.>after all work was done and they didn't know what color they wanted or ran out of money and asked me to clear it. Its been a few years and they still look ok ! My vette is epoxy sealer tinted last year no clear and driven a lot I'm not quite ready for paint and still like to drive it!

Now I just gave you bad advice!!

But if I was you and its ready to paint and you like that color I would get a color that matches what you like and paint it right! And not ask a question that no painter in his right mind would recommend as good advice !!

Jester

Oh by the way if you spray that PPG one panel at a time at different periods and clear and hang them on the car every one that you painted will be a slightly different shade of gray(just a warning ) LOL Take my word on that

#6 ·
John: I said it! and its bad information!!!:nono: about clearing the primer I thought I made it clear!! But I did it in a way that I think he'll change his mind! I know people will tell him its ok! inspector already did and I'm not getting into a P!$$!NG match when I know its wrong! have I done it I'm ashamed to say yes < but if a guy pays me and wont listen to my advice I'll teach him a lesson and do what he tells me LOL !

I had a customer come in once I just shot the clear and had a small run in a compound curve (no biggy) the costumer wanted to see the car it was still wet but I took him into the booth . He saw it :eek:I told him not to worry it would wet sand out he said he could get it out with masking tape Oh yea :eek:I said show me but let me get my camera lol so he dabbed and I took pictures and he made a big mess and kept dabbing :nono: Well in the long run it cost him more money and he learned a lesson!:drunk:

Jester

John I just reread it again and its ok to me but Im tired maybe tomorrow I'll ask a monitor to take it off because Ill see what you mean! Read it again for me please and tell me if it still is off to you!

:confused:

#8 ·
John LOL!! Man Im 66:pain: dont give me a stroke I reread it 6 times :smash::smash::smash::pain: LOL:D

The worst way to learn is from a mistake you make!! Its better to learn from us old geasers that made them all years ago!!!!:sweat: I have to be honest if I made mistakes in the past and did bad things I'll use my mistakes as examples I made many growing up!!LOL :thumbup:

Jester

#9 ·
Aha. Lots of replies.:thumbup:
I've seen Kia's, Volkswagens and Fiat's with a nice grey paint.
It looks like shiny primer, but darker. It also crossed my mind.

The primer / clearcoat thing is: It would be really simple to redo pannels in case of damages.:spank:

But change in collour isn't a good thing.

#10 ·
not to hyjack, as it's somewhat on topic..
I've seen tons of cars in the matteblack.. that looks like black primer,(hell tons are running around with black primer) thats been played out..
with the o/p post of gray primer, couldn't he blast a panel in primer.. bring it to a paint surply store and have them use that fancy,nifty, computer/camera to make a custom formula? I'd think to do this he'd have to clear the test panel that he'd bring to the surpier.. but should get him the top coat in that gray.. he may need to test with matte clear and normal gloss clear to see what he'd like.. once he gets the custom mix formula.. but this seem to the ticket to get the color he wants.. no?

I ask.. cause, black is played out.. I'm thinking matte red oxide.. but I'm somewhat twisted..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.