Practical Ride Height 34 Ford - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 10:09 PM

Last journal entry: 34 Finally
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Practical Ride Height 34 Ford

I know this is subjective but.. What would be a practical ride height on a street rod like a 32-34 Ford ? It appears all the "trend setter rods " are saying, the lower the better but how darn practical are these cars if you can't get them up a standard driveway? I am in the middle of a 34 Ford coupe build so I have a lot of flexibility here. Where should the frame sit relative to the ground and be driveable yet low? Using Heidt's IFS with coil overs and rear coil overs with triangulated suspension. Looking at 30-31" rear tire to stay in fenders.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Keep the chassis above the scrub line so if you get a flat the chassis does not hit the ground..Bare minimum about 3.5 inches but then I like to see about 6" min on a street driven car..Mine turned out to be 7" with a 78 series tire and it is low..

Measure some known examples including your daily driver to see where they run and then make a choice..

Kinda vague answer I know..but then maybe you have more of an idea..

Sam
Old 02-20-2007, 11:39 PM

Try to keep the front tires far enough down from the fenders so that you can turn a corner or go up a driveway without having the tire riding the fender lip or inside across the fender brace. That is stupid, sounds back, fells bad, and looks bad.
A nice rubber rake makes a car look lower than it really is, not crazy but subtle.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:35 AM

Last journal entry: Robs34 - Done my dash
Last photo:

I made the mistake on my first 34 of having a super low front end, it had a torsion bar adjustable IFS from a Toyota Hi Lux so I screwed it down to 3 1/2 inches off the ground at the chin in the middle of the front guards, well it looked terrific... Trouble was I was demonstrating it to my mate and he didn't tell me soon enough about the railway lines I was about to cross and OUCH ! two new front fenders and lets straighten out that grille. Lesson learnt. Now I sit the car about 5 to 5 1/2 inches at the same point at the front and with 275 60 R 15s on the back just the tip of the tyre tread is covered by the fender as you look at the car from the side. Havent hit any spoon drains or railway lines since with this set up and have built three cars since. Still looks damn cool after all it IS a 34 !

Cheerio from Aus

Rob
Old 02-21-2007, 06:33 AM
street rods forever

Last photo:

Lower the better but the scrub line is most important.That's why I believe in channeling body on frame or "Z"ing frame.Thats ok(channel) if your building from scratch ,cause most of time a new floor is needed any way.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

32's sit a little different than 33 - 34 Fords because of the front fenders ... but mine is 4 inches off the road. My front tires sometimes rubs the fender brace ...

Another thing to be concerned is ... the placement of the engine and transmission. How low or how high it is mounted in the chassis. That's what rubs on my roadster. I raised the engine/transmission location a little over 1 inch in my 32 3W project from where the 32 Roadster's is mounted.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:49 AM

Last photo:

34 Ford ride height

Thanks for the advise. I like the stance of your 34 "no-top" very, very nice! Just curious though,where does this rake put your frame rails in relation the the ground? Still have to work out engine geometry/oil pan height from ground etc. That is equally if not more important.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:54 AM
street rods forever

Last photo:

Nice rides there Deuce,specially 3window
Old 02-21-2007, 07:03 AM

Last photo:

34 Ford ride height

Thanks for the input Deuce. I have always loved the 32 Fords as well. In fact when I finish the 34 I have an excuse to keep the frame jig..build a 32 !! Definetly will need a bigger garage. 34 Ford, 66 Mustang convert (wife's car) and maybe a 32. Life is good !!!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 PM

Last journal entry: Frame Basics
Last photo:

Good info, just putting the Mustang II air ride on the front of my 32 , since the Welders series fronts are adjustable height, just trying to figure out where I need to set the height, once I cut and weld I am stuck with it(unless I tear it apart, big job). I am using 2" drop spindles, cycle fenders on the front, and 275/40R17s for tires. Rears are 305/40R17s. I figured 5.5" on the front. I figure if its too low I can always ditch the 2" drop spindles, and to some extent I can adjust the height with a change in air pressure.
Its a bit of a crap shoot!

Last edited by 27TRoadsterguy; 12-16-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typo

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.