Practice what I preach. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Practice what I preach.

One of the other member's has a post asking for advice on whether to buy another cheap car or use the money to make his project truck at least usable for transportation until his situation improves and I was one of several who responded. It just hit me that I should follow my own advice. I have a wounded '89 Chevy Stepside in the backyard and have been fretting about what to do to get the 4.3 fixed or find another motor and all the time I'm sitting on enough new "extra" parts to build a warmed over 355 for it. The parts I have are more performance oriented and wouldn't work with the computer controls or EFI but at least I would have it back on the road. It would be fun too although mileage might suffer some but it didn't do all that great before so what the heck...... it might even get better.

A 355 with 305 HO heads but dished pistons to keep SCR at 9.6 and a "mild" cam but with enough overlap to keep DCR down where I can run 87 Octane, Edelbrock Performer and a 600 Holley with headers backed by a 5 speed and 3.42 gears. Should be a lot of fun and all I really need at this point is a flywheel for the older style crank and machine work. I can always slip an EFI friendly motor in down the road and sell the 355 or put it in something else. DOH! Why didn't I think of it before?

Thanks for the inspiration 'jj350'!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

Hippie, I guess it's all about doing what makes us happy. I've always wanted to have a ride that I've fixed up. I can envision what it will look like and hopefully I'll get a sense of accomplishment from it. I think everyone should follow their dreams no matter what they are. I'm learning that now. I've let opportunities go in the past but this time for sure I'm not going to let my dream slip away.. God, hope that wasn't too cheesy...
Old 12-26-2006, 12:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ350
.... hope that wasn't too cheesy...
Not cheesy at all, if anybody thinks so that's their problem. Sometimes the answer is right in front of us but we get ourselves too wrapped up in the problem to see it. Wish we had an emoticon for slapping ourselves on the forehead, I could have used an hour or so ago. Only thing I'm worried about now is that I'll have too much fun with the truck and let the Monte slide.....
Old 12-26-2006, 05:40 PM
30 Ford 5 Window

Last photo:

You mean one of these?

Old 12-26-2006, 06:16 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138
You mean one of these?

Yeah wunna doze....
Old 12-26-2006, 07:06 PM

Last journal entry: 52 truck
Last photo:

Ive been thinking the same thing, but as much as Id like to finish the gremmie, i need to buy another car for everyday use. HG

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?action=view&journalid=2415[/url]

Hemmies rat journal below.

[url]http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/journal.php?s=f6d0e9c7fec644bb0a70761c0431939b&journalid=84231&action=view[/url]
Old 12-27-2006, 05:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemmiGremmie
Ive been thinking the same thing, but as much as Id like to finish the gremmie, i need to buy another car for everyday use. HG
Sux don't it? I sure miss being young and irresponsible.... It would be great if I could have a "hot rod" for my daily driver but with a 50 mile daily round trip ....... oh well.

My plan has made a minor shift, I'm going to lower the SCR to 8.7 and run a milder cam to keep the DCR in the same range and boost the torque below 4,000. It gives up 30 HP to the other cam at 5,000 but gains 60 FtLbs on the other end where I can use it the most. ( According to DD2000 anyway. ) I have a NIB Summit 1102 cam & lifters which works well in both mild carb'd and EFI 350's so I'll stick the 355 in with a carb and no ECM stuff first and run it that way for awhile. I'll try some of my ideas for MPG's on that and then put TBI back on later and maybe eventually slip the '85 TPI set up on it. The truck will be my rolling test bed/parts hauler/beater "rod". Maybe if I make my mileage goals ( or close ) it will be my daily driver too. It would be a whole lot cooler than ol' "Spot" my peeling white 200,000 mile '94 LeSabre. Spot's ugly and boring but it has been rock solid dependable and is still running strong. Damn... J/K, I would have been screwed if Spot had died on me.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.