Pre 1948 Car Shows - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2006, 08:55 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pre 1948 Car Shows

Guys

This is a thorn in my side and I have to get this off my chest, how in the hell can you have a pre 1948 show and over halve of the cars are clones of mostly old Fords, with new titles. Then have the balls to say it's a pre 48 show only. I myself could go to a pre 48 with my 40 Ford Coupe but, I refuse to go because it's a joke. I know it does not say all metal pre 48 cars, but if it did there would be at lot less cars at these shows .

I know I will catch a lot of flack over this but I don't care, these clones are just the same as new Corvettes or Cobras clones going, except there in Ford or other fiberglass body's.

FAT40

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Blowin' it

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Running again...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Ssssoooo, what you are whining about is fiberglass bodies???

Don't go to them then!!!! Let the others have fun... Thats all that matters anyway.

Jason
Old 08-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

My thoughts.............You should be honoured that someone takes the time to copy the classic lines of those older cars. If not for them, the hobby would be only a portion of the size that it is. There are only a certain amount of the old iron still available.

Besides, the real purists.............the "All Original" gang probably don't feel a lot of love for you, for "Hacking" up that 40 Ford.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:25 PM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

I had a response all typed out, but I reconsidered.

Nice car by the way.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:20 PM

Last photo:

Pre 1948 Car Shows

Guys

When excluding cars newer than 1948 you leave out some great cars of the 50 and 60 years. It's not all about cars made of fiberglass,but why should they be able to go when they are not really of that vintage?I know it's for Hotrods only,but it still doesn't make it right in my eye. So if you think I am whining so be it. As for hacking up my 40 and making some "Original purist" upset believe you me it has crossed my mind a lot, I like 40 Fords both ways . I have 57 Old's that is all original and it will stay that way. I knew this would make a lot of you upset, and I am sorry about that, but I still say pre 48 show is a joke.

FAT40
Old 08-25-2006, 03:47 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I have no issues with a fiberglass car ... if it looks like the car it is supposed to be ...

This is NOT a 33 Ford ... IMHO ...

But should be shaped more like this ... and retain some resemblance to a 33 Ford as Henry sold it ...
Old 08-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I go to all the different types of shows - from the "pre48" to the open to anyone. The ones I enjoy the most are the pre 48. I like that body style the most and enjoy the company of others who enjoy the same. I understand the work and money that a lot of the muscle car owners have put into restoring their cars and love the prostreet look of those that do that. I enjoy looking at restored antiques and classics to see how they were built originally. I also really enjoy looking at the customs of the 50's and 60's. As far as the newer pocket rockets, SUV's and euro styles I have little use for them but I respect the work and creatively that has gone into them. But if I had my choice to go to a pre48 run and an open one I would choose the pre48 every time.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,332 Times in 1,154 Posts
I remember when I gave a crap about this, that was a long time ago. Really, the fiberglass "copy" represents the "spirit" of the old time car. A radically modified steel car that hardly resembles the original or a fiberglass exact copy of the original, what bothers you less?

When I first started going to runs in the late seventies I would literally get bad talked to and even be told I can't go in with my 48 Chevy pickup (it really is a 48) just because the jerk didn't even know the 47-53 all looked alike. That is when I cared, but now, I like them all and if some guy gives me the once over, I smile because he is the jerk.

I personally like the Goodguys events that do allow later cars. I even like the ones that allow all American made cars right up to the 26" wheeled Cad Escalades. I mean, if people did their cars and have done a good job on them, I can dig them too. But these events or the pre48 events are all cool. There are a lot of guys who would never bring their pre48 cars out to the one with the Cad and booming stereo, they miss out.

Personally, the 75 stock appearing 55-57 Chevies that all look alike gets a little old too. This weekend I will be going to the Goodguys even that is 54 and earlier. I will "sneak" in with my brothers 55 F-100 with the 53 grille.

Brian
Old 08-25-2006, 04:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
I have no issues with a fiberglass car ... if it looks like the car it is supposed to be ...
I completely agree but would go a little further. To me a Street Beast shouldn't be allowed just because it is such a pathetic attempt at copying the real thing. The truth is that they don't look the way they do because the company wanted them to look like a custom/modified Deuce or Vicky but they look that way because the designer was an idiot. Not a single original Ford part will fit on one of those abortions.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:18 PM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Mr. Fat40 does have a point about these shows.

We have a pre-war show in the next county every October.

I have no objection to an event like this, as it makes for a wonderful day for me. The city shuts down Main St. and offers up the city park for the entrants.
But when I see vehicles that are blatantly newer than pre-war, it kind of pisses me off. When I first moved here and started attending this show, the newer cars were allowed to park at a bank right next to the entrants, but were not allowed to enter. usually only a few cars there.

Last year, I was appalled that someone had entered a 53 or 54 Ford Courier (sedan delivery), a 58 Chev wagon, and a couple of 49 Caddys showed up.
Some late model roundy round cars and a few choppers and trikes.

Personally I would think that is a blatant disrespect for the event. Not to mention that the idiot signing the entrants needed to be shot. You would not expect a bunch of Mustangs to show up at a Super Chevy show, unless they were GM powered.

Bryan

Brian---good thing yer brother don't have a 56----Busted--sidelined
Old 08-25-2006, 10:33 PM

Last photo:

I agree with fat40, These shows dont say "if it looks pre 48" they say pre 48. Now I'm not the smartest guy in the world but.............. well you know what I mean. I'm not really sure what started the "plastic" craze,was it that some people didnt really care anymore about having a real classic or antique ? Was it that they couldnt afford a real car ? Was it that they were too lazy or lacked the abilities to do all the hard work involved in building a real car? Who knows, but the politics is too heavy and rest assure there will always be fake pre 48 cars parked next to real pre 48 cars at all the shows. But keep your chin up fat40, the phonys will never bring the respect or the dollars that the real cars do. Now I'll hang up and listen.....

Last edited by spankys rod shop; 08-25-2006 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:22 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

The points made by fat40 and spanky leave us with a very "slippery slope" argument.

Should an all steel '32 coupe qualify as "real" even if the steel wast stamped in 2006?

Should an original '32 body qualify if the fenders were totally rotted and had to be replaced with steel 32 fenders - stamped in 2006? And if the repo steel fenders are okay, how about repo glass fenders. And if the repo fenders are okay, what if the fenders, grill shell, trunk lid, doors and rear quarters were rotted and needed to be replaced? Is THAT car still "real" when you finish it?

And what about the car where the body AND chassis are beyond being safe or usable - and over the years the entire thing is upgraded to newly made parts? Is that car "real" or is it fake?

Or what about the guy who takes his '32 into a rod shop to have a builder hand make new body panels, door panels and fenders out of 2006 steel? When he drives out the door does he now have a fake car or a "real" car.

And what about the guy who hand forms his own glass '32 body in his/her garage on nights and weekends? Real? Fake? Or the person who hand forms their own body out of a pile of sheet metal? Real? Fake?

My list could go on and on. Point is, Fat40 is right. When you start down this slippery slope eliminating all the "fake" cars or cars with fake parts...you'll end up with one car sitting alone at the show grounds. Fat40's '40.

And just one final note. I get them impression from spanky's post that he believes glass cars are somehow easier or cheaper to build than "real" (I assume he means steel) cars. Having built both I simply must disagree with than premise. Granted, the skills to build and finish a glass body are somewhat different than the skill to build and finish a steel car...but the are by no means easier skills to master and perfect. I have nothing but the utmost respect for anyone who builds a nice looking glass car OR steel car.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

I personally wouldn't want a glass car, I like the car to have a "real history". There is just something about that to me. Now, getting back to your "slippery slope". How about this, that F-100 I will be driving over to Goodguys today, IS it "my fathers truck"?

My brother "restored" it. The bed and rear fenders were rough and it was cheaper for him to buy new, the frame was butchered up so it was replaced......so ONLY the cab, front fenders and hood are the same as the truck he and I drove in highschool and went camping with our father. Is it the "same" truck. Yes, I think it is, it is the "spirit" of our dads truck, even if the cab had been replaced.

My 48 Chevy truck that I have owned for over 30 years, only the speedometer remains from the original purchase!!!! It is STILL the "same" truck with the same "history" to me.

As cboy said, the glass car is JUST as challenging to build if not more than a steel one.

And to anyone who really is bugged by these events with all the "fake" old cars, just go to a "rat rod" type event like Beyond Billet and you will not see one single glass car (or even once single glass fender). But you will see a whole bunch of fake "vintage hot rods" made to look OLD. Which is worse? Personally, the "patina" look with the fake "worn out" paint makes me ill. THAT is WAY more "fake" than a glass bodied car in my opinion.

Brian
Old 08-26-2006, 09:48 AM

Last photo:

By the way, I just registered last night over at the Goodguys show and in the parking lot was one of the most stunning cars I will see at that show. It was a fully hand built speedster made completely from aluminum! We are talking frame, body, axles, EVERYTHING (well nearly, the axle tubes and I assume axles in the rear housing and gears are steel, but you get the idea) was aluminum.

The only resemblence to any "real" car is the 28-29 Ford "looking" grille. The front axle is made out of a block of aluminum! The body is polished aluminum with a white "Geebee" style scallop on the front. It is an absolutely STUNNING work of art.

Does it "belong" at a rod event? Not a single part on the car existed a year or so ago, not one single part, so is it a "fake"?

After drooling over it for sometime lying on the ground looking and what not my brother noticed it's owner on the entry card, John Buttera. If you are not familier with the name, he is creadited with making the first "billet" part on a car back in the late seventies.

When asked "how did you make that mirror"? He said "I got a block of aluminum and milled off everything that didn't look like a mirror".

Brian
Old 08-26-2006, 11:33 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
When asked "how did you make that mirror"? He said "I got a block of aluminum and milled off everything that didn't look like a mirror"
Thank you for digging that out Brian. It should be featured somewhere on HR.Com as the "Quote of the Month".

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.