Hot Rod Forum banner

Pre-assembled interior help!!!

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  DanTwoLakes 
#1 ·
*Just wondering if anyone out there has any input and/or experience with installing pre-assembled interior. I don't have any experience with installation and the internet videos make it too easy to be true. Just don't want to ruin the look of the interior or worse, have to order more because I screwed it up. Any tips for installation or advise on professional installation is appreciated.

*I posted a pic of the old seat and interior and also some of the new. The interior design is mostly original style and the only non-original look is the color of the material. Thought this was a pretty good combo.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Don't put the pieces in a clothes dryer, you can burn or melt the vinyl. You don't need to heat anything up, it will just cool off by the time you are ready to attach the seat covers to the frames anyway.

Those are pretty simple seat covers. Can you take pictures of the inside of the seat covers? When installing seat covers, you turn the covers inside out and start with the listings on the inside of the cover. The listings have wires in them and are hog ringed in first, if there are any listings, and when the listings are attached you turn the cover right side out, doing the front first, and attach the listings on the bottom of the seat cover to the seat frame. The first two pictures are of a pair of '68 Mustang buckets I just finished. The second picture shows how the seat cover is attached to the frame with hog rings. These seat covers had listings under the welts on top of the seat bottom and on the front of the seat backs. The fourth picture is a pair of '66 Corvair seats that should be almost exactly like your seats. I made the Corvair seat covers, but the Mustang seat covers were purchased by the car's owner. All of these seats got new seat foam.

The headliner is the toughest job. Look at this thread, it will tell you how to install a bow type headliner: CLICK HERE

Attachments

#7 ·
@DanTwoLakes: Thanks for all the input. I checked out that thread and it is very informative. I will get some pic's of the inside of the seats this evening.
*side note - This was my father's last project when he passed away and it is now my first. If you understand how much it means to me then you will know how much I appreciate the experienced advise. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.