Hot Rod Forum banner

pre oiling 350 reman- no oil in passenger valve train

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  KULTULZ 
#1 ·
I have been using a 7/16" spade drill bit on an extension. The tip was ground off to give it a square end to fit the oil pump. Down the distributor shaft it went. About 5 minutes with a fairly fast plug in drill and the oil started to weep from the driver side lifters and pushrods, over the rockers; but no such luck on the passenger side- not one pusgrod or lifter. The engine is a reman and otherwise looks good.

The oil seems to come up just under the hole for the distributor; but does not seem to want to feed on the passenger side.

Any idea what give? Will it require the speed of a a reved motor to start the flow? I read something about a priming tool IS needed- not just a drill setup like mine. I am spinning in the right direction (CW) and the oil is good quality.

Why the drivers side but not to the passenger side?

thanks,

Ed

#2 ·
pre oiling

jjj, This is a pretty common thing that happens on SBC. sometime's it takes awhile for the oil to get there. The fact that you have oil on the 1 side is a good. I have put many motors together and found that the assembly lube plugs the pushrods and with a little heat when the motor warms up and normal oil pressure with it running unplugs them and start to flow oil to the rockers, Hope this helps,,,,,,Perry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.