pre oiling - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 01:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

pre oiling

i have a chevy reconditiomed chevy 350 that has not been run but has been setting for a couple years. when i pre oiled, i brought the pump up to 40 psi , but only the left lifters oiled, no matter what position the crank was in. i pre oiled everything i could by hand before i turned anything.this engine is a 87 model with the roller cam.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2005, 05:27 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Probably a restriction in the oil galley. Take it apart and clean it. Chrkc to make sure all oil plugs are in it. Did someone with authority assemble the engine?
Old 01-30-2005, 05:42 PM

Last photo:

It is common for a pre oiled Chevrolet engine to not fill the right side. Most pre oilers do not have a housing that fits in the dist hole to block off the passage that the distrib closes.. Thus the oil just leaks out the internal hole. If you pre oil, then hand oil all the rockers, pushrod tips and valve tops. Fire the engine and you will have pressure on both sides in a few moments..
Old 01-30-2005, 09:34 PM

Last photo:

pre-oiling

Whenever assembling an engine with hydraulic lifters, I take a soup can and fill it about 3/4 full of oil, drop the lifter in and with a pushrod, pump the plunger in the lifter up and down several times to get all the air bubles out and fill it full of oil, before coating with assemly lube.

An easy way to make an oil primer. Get an old distributor and remove all the upper parts, remove the cam gear. Braze a socket onto the shaft where the rotor went, using a speed wrench, turn the pump. This closes off the aforementioned oil passage that allows the oil to drain out before priming that one bank of lifters.
Its cheap and probably better than a lot of high priced gizmos on the market. Thats the one time having a worn out piece of junk pays off.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:45 PM

Last photo:

I made mine years ago out of on old POS Accel Distrib that grenaded the advance mechanism.. Ground all the drive gear teeth off and cleaned off the upper mechanism.. 1/2" drill chucks right up and spins great!!
Old 01-30-2005, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

pre oiling

BOB, you had the same idea, except I welded an old POS 3/8ths drive, socket to the one I made.

I the time it would take me to find my drill, plug it in and put it on the distributor, I could have a speed wrench on it and done.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:49 PM

Last photo:

I spin it with the starter for a few revolutions with my giant Chicago Electric armbreaker spinning the dist./priming tool. I'm happy when it shoots oil over the fenders. Also lets me know if I have any oil pressure issues ahead of time.

Larry

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.