Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Pre-oiling a SBC
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpate
I am getting getting to start up a 327. The engine was started and broken in by the engine builder 6 months ago.

The engine builder said that I should pre-oil the engine prior to start up since I would not be able to install the engine for several months.

I am trying to pre-oil the engine and am using a priming tool from OEM part #27060. I am using a 1/2 inch electric drill to power the tool. The oil pressure shows 50 lbs. on the oil pressure gauge but after three minutes of priming I still do not have oil at the lifters.

Do I need to just keep running the drill for a longer period of time? I have rotated the engine several times and ran the drill at each stopping point.

My assumption is that just because I show pressure on the gauge that merely the indication of pressure is not sufficient and I need to see oil at the lifters.

Any suggestions/recommendations appreciated------Mark
Hydraulic and some solid lifters use an internal valve called an inertia-valve. This will only meter oil to the pushrod when at the same time there is oil pressure and camshaft motion. Sometimes with one person rotating the crankshaft with a wrench and another running the primer tool, you can get enough inertia build up in the lifters to actuate the valve, sometimes not.

Sometimes the valves will leak a little and feed oil to the push rod without any motion imparted from the cam. This kind of leakage is more common with anti-pump up lifters but is not unique to them.

Since you've run the tool and achieved oil pressure it's fair to assume the engine is prelubed. For the top end, with a oil gun shoot the pushrod to lifter fit, the trunnion's and valve stem to lifter tip then fire it. Stand by with the oil gun while watching for flow to start from the pushrods.

Bogie