Hot Rod Forum banner

Pre-Wired Fuse Blocks

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  lumberjacknooj 
#1 ·
I have a question about the pros and cons of "Pre-wired Fuse Blocks."

It appears to me that Painless and others have the wires pre-wired into the fuse block and you then "simply" run the wires to the appropriate user. This if fine if the number of circuits supplied equal the number needed. I know you could either coil up unused circuit wires under the dash (tacky) or cut them off which would require a splice if you decided to add a circuit in the future.

Centech and others "allow" you to clamp in the wires on an as needed basis which seems to me would allow you ultimate flexibility.

The pre-wired fuse block companies tout that "most problems come from the connection to the fuse block" while Centech claims to have a fool proof system.

Any comments from those who have actually used each of these types of fuse blocks?

I need to rewire a '36 Ford Coupe street rod that has been romanced one too many times. The wiring is SO BAD that it has to come out and a new system installed.

Any help selecting a system would be greatly appreciated.

Harley Monster

See less See more
#3 ·
I have installed a number of the painless wiring harnesses and for a couple of installs we removed the wiring etc for any unused circuits.
The connector at the fuse block basically clips in. There are little tools that are built for reaching into the connector to unclip it. If you decided to add a circuit in the future you could simply just clip it back in place.

#6 ·
I have used the Painless product several times. Order the harness that has the number of circuits closest to what you need. The last one I used was for a T-Bucket and I used the 12-circuit kit and had 2 left over. Had I ordered the 18 circuit kit it would have been overkill. You can also add additional circuits later on right from the front of the fuse block itself although you will need to fuse these circuits that are added - the fuse block is merely a power distribution point for these circuits that are added beyond what came with the kit.

If you don't go totally overboard, I think you will find that you do not have many 'unused' circuits. I simply took the unused wires and folded them over on themselves and put them all in a 1" split wire loom under the dash. If you need them later just extract the one you need from the loom and run it and leave the others in the loom. Simple, clean looking, and easy to get to and change.

#7 ·
I bought a kit from EZ wiring. Sounds cheezy, but it was $150 for the 21 circuit kit and put it in a 66 Bonneville. It sure was every bit as nice (if not nicer) than my buddy's 18-circuit Painless kit he put in his car. Half the price, 3 more circuits, same quality side by side.

Look at your next swap meet, usually there is someone selling them.

#8 ·
Look up!

Man there's a whole discussion thread on wiring harnesses at the top of this section. All of this has been discussed and many different opinions.

But anyone that says their's is "fool proof" is not giving the fools enough credit!

Which ever one you get, SOLDER, don't just crimp. You'll be sorry later if you don't solder.

If this is beyond your knowledge and capabilities, get some help. You don't want to screw up wiring.

Steve

#12 ·
Harley Monster-
I'm pretty sure removing the circuits on a prewired fuse block wouldn't be a big task. If you did decide to add that circuit back in it may be a little more difficult than if you had just bundled them up or something. For instance- depending on where you mount your box, and how much slack you have from the nearby wired equipment (or where your harness may be routed and tied up), you may not have much room for work. Plus, you may need to un-mount your box in able to get the connections back into it.

Probably wouldn't be a big to-do to add 'em back in. Just comes down to whatever you prefer.

My dad has a 36 Ford tudor slantback sedan I'm gonna try to wire for him. He's using a Kwik-Wire harness. Since there's not a lot of stuff going on behind the dash there should be plenty of room to neatly tuck any unused wires.

Nooj
ps- Temecula... That's right off the 15, right? I was on Camp Pendleton for a while, had a apartment in O'side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.