Pre-Wired Fuse Blocks - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 07:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Pre-Wired Fuse Blocks

I have a question about the pros and cons of "Pre-wired Fuse Blocks."

It appears to me that Painless and others have the wires pre-wired into the fuse block and you then "simply" run the wires to the appropriate user. This if fine if the number of circuits supplied equal the number needed. I know you could either coil up unused circuit wires under the dash (tacky) or cut them off which would require a splice if you decided to add a circuit in the future.

Centech and others "allow" you to clamp in the wires on an as needed basis which seems to me would allow you ultimate flexibility.

The pre-wired fuse block companies tout that "most problems come from the connection to the fuse block" while Centech claims to have a fool proof system.

Any comments from those who have actually used each of these types of fuse blocks?

I need to rewire a '36 Ford Coupe street rod that has been romanced one too many times. The wiring is SO BAD that it has to come out and a new system installed.

Any help selecting a system would be greatly appreciated.

Harley Monster

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Last photo:

I see no problem using Painless kits. If the circuits provided are not being used, like elec fuel pump or backup lights I just run the wires to the trunk area, coil them up and tuck them away out of sight.

Vince
Old 09-05-2007, 08:42 PM

Last journal entry: project delays
Last photo:

I have installed a number of the painless wiring harnesses and for a couple of installs we removed the wiring etc for any unused circuits.
The connector at the fuse block basically clips in. There are little tools that are built for reaching into the connector to unclip it. If you decided to add a circuit in the future you could simply just clip it back in place.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:32 PM

Econo- Do they sell that tool? If not, where can you get the proper tool to disconnect these wires at the fuse block?

Harley Monster
Old 09-05-2007, 09:51 PM

Last journal entry: project delays
Last photo:

Hope its ok to post links.
The following is a page from snap-on showing the different types.
snap-on terminal disconnects
Old 09-05-2007, 09:55 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I have used the Painless product several times. Order the harness that has the number of circuits closest to what you need. The last one I used was for a T-Bucket and I used the 12-circuit kit and had 2 left over. Had I ordered the 18 circuit kit it would have been overkill. You can also add additional circuits later on right from the front of the fuse block itself although you will need to fuse these circuits that are added - the fuse block is merely a power distribution point for these circuits that are added beyond what came with the kit.

If you don't go totally overboard, I think you will find that you do not have many 'unused' circuits. I simply took the unused wires and folded them over on themselves and put them all in a 1" split wire loom under the dash. If you need them later just extract the one you need from the loom and run it and leave the others in the loom. Simple, clean looking, and easy to get to and change.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I bought a kit from EZ wiring. Sounds cheezy, but it was $150 for the 21 circuit kit and put it in a 66 Bonneville. It sure was every bit as nice (if not nicer) than my buddy's 18-circuit Painless kit he put in his car. Half the price, 3 more circuits, same quality side by side.

Look at your next swap meet, usually there is someone selling them.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

Look up!

Man there's a whole discussion thread on wiring harnesses at the top of this section. All of this has been discussed and many different opinions.

But anyone that says their's is "fool proof" is not giving the fools enough credit!

Which ever one you get, SOLDER, don't just crimp. You'll be sorry later if you don't solder.

If this is beyond your knowledge and capabilities, get some help. You don't want to screw up wiring.

Steve
Old 09-06-2007, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=curtis73]I've seen both harness, upclose & personal. The Quality is NOT the same.
Last, Nothing is fool proof......to a talanted fool
just my .02

I have also, including It's A Snap. They are not the same.

Vince

Last edited by 302 Z28; 09-06-2007 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Violation of guidelines. Please see: general board guidelines.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

I've got an E-Z harness. Some of it is and some of it isn't. Right now I'm working on the isn't part. Your right, they're not fool proof. They might be for guys who really know they're stuff. Now I have to go check that disscussion at the top to see what I've missed.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:54 PM

fuse panels

I threw a "It's a Snap" away. Poor instructions and Tech. Wires too short. Etc-Etc.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:34 AM
70 Chevelle SS 396

Last photo:

Harley Monster-
I'm pretty sure removing the circuits on a prewired fuse block wouldn't be a big task. If you did decide to add that circuit back in it may be a little more difficult than if you had just bundled them up or something. For instance- depending on where you mount your box, and how much slack you have from the nearby wired equipment (or where your harness may be routed and tied up), you may not have much room for work. Plus, you may need to un-mount your box in able to get the connections back into it.

Probably wouldn't be a big to-do to add 'em back in. Just comes down to whatever you prefer.

My dad has a 36 Ford tudor slantback sedan I'm gonna try to wire for him. He's using a Kwik-Wire harness. Since there's not a lot of stuff going on behind the dash there should be plenty of room to neatly tuck any unused wires.

Nooj
ps- Temecula... That's right off the 15, right? I was on Camp Pendleton for a while, had a apartment in O'side.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.