predator carb v.s. holley 750 dyno chart - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2006, 01:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yep we all know that advertising makes a product better bottom line, if it was the best thing scince sliced bread everyone would have one.... I had always wanted one and luckly I had a friend that pulled one off his sled....I slapped it on mine and gave it a run for its money (actually it gave me a run for mine) I'm pretty darn decent at set ups and tuning and I couldnt get that thing to run worth its salt at all.....my holly double went back on within the weekend....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle4542speed
well does the holley fit that many diffrent sizes 300 to 500 c.i. flows 390 cfm to 930 cfm , i dont think the holley can do that , never under or over carburated
I can think of another carb that does that, and is waaaaay less expensive. I'll give you a hint... Quadrajet.

If your predator works for you, great. But there is always another opinion, they are like a**holes. We all got 'em.

Last edited by sbchevfreak; 06-29-2006 at 02:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sbchevfreak For This Useful Post:
pacman (02-26-2013)
Old 06-29-2006, 02:03 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Take it easy on Chevelle. He is young and learning. Chevelle, if you have one and it solved problems for you and you like the way your car runs, FANTASTIC!! As long as you are happy with it, it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. And if you are indeed happy with it, throw the flow chart out, who cares!!!!! Plus you have something different under the hood.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:49 PM

Last photo:

thank you, i really dont care what they think any ways. just wanted to show how the predator performed out of the box along with holley, it just shows who performs better
Old 06-29-2006, 03:57 PM

I'd disagree Chevelle, it doesn't say a thing. Your young, you'll learn. Why do I say that, years and years and lot's and lot's of experience both on the dyno and on the street and track.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:16 AM
Technical Support Barry Grant

Last photo:

Chevelle,

The Predator design has its advantages, but as in anything else in life you'll find downsides as well. Not knowing all of the parameters of the actual testing it would be hard to comment specifically about it. The basic situation is that with their design they have larger window of where they will work well, but as a rule of thumb do not perform as well as the properly sized and tuned modular carburetor. Which is what Keith was trying to say. Most racers who used them have run better with a modular carburetor.

You're both correct, and incorrect when you talk about fear of change. Guys, and racers in general like to use what they are comfortable with, but if you showed up with something that looked strange and ran quicker and faster consistently with it they'd all look at it. It happens at all levels of racing, performance beats out unwillingness to change every time.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:23 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: PICTURE TEST
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle4542speed
thank you, i really dont care what they think any ways. just wanted to show how the predator performed out of the box along with holley, it just shows who performs better
You didn't "show" anything.... It's piece of paper..It's called advertising

Run one on your car, and then switch to a BG and get back to us with the results......Then you will have something to "show" us old guys that are not willing to change....

Keith
Old 06-30-2006, 09:07 AM

Last photo:

That article must be very old because their graphing program really stinks. I bet it was done by hand! The graph should look like this, based on the data.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:11 AM

Last photo:

The peice of paper is only as good as the folks that did the study, and the practices that went into the study (thats what dyno/spec sheets are) its called validity, if pred. did the study dont you think its going to come out favorable over every other product out there? (external validity is lacking). Second, the reliability of the study, if joe blow with the same exact testing equipment tested it would he get the same results? This is called reliability (also mixed with replication) The validity and reliability factors coupled with the biased/unbiased nature of the study is what makes a study, this is simply advertisment, there is no reliability, replication by unbiased individuals, or validity....therefore in short, your peice of paper doesnt mean squat. It shows the numbers predator wants you to see...

simple lesson in scientific experimental methods.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:40 AM

Last photo:

i thought i have told you who did the testing . it was hot rod magizine who did the test ,both out of the box, i know you guys are older and wiser, most of you . but the fact is it did perform better .and thats all i was pointing out.
i know there is anether post on this site that said he found the same thing but didnt post the dyno.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:02 AM

Last photo:

do a search on predator in the bullintin board , but he said he found info on the carcraft magizine
Old 06-30-2006, 10:19 AM
He got me, like he got you

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

what about its fuel circuits do you like ? do you understand how the variable venturi works ? variable venturi carbs have been used at the factory level before. i think the ford EFBC was such. they have proven to be a viable way to meter fuel.

most modern engines are built ,or blueprinted, if you will, with combinations in mind. the intake manifold from said combination usually performs best with the carb it was designed for.

i have used holleys with performer(non eps) manifolds with no problems. however, did you ever notice how the plenum area is bigger in back for the spreadbore manifolds?

try putting your predator on a performer intake, they claim they are best for low end !

Last edited by spinn; 06-30-2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:56 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
it was hot rod magizine who did the test
again validity is lacking, does hot rod magazine have a unbiased opinion about the subect? do they have experimenter bias towards the other product, or do they have manufacture bias in the business setting... just like the news agencies you see what they want you to see....you get their agenda....just because hot rod did it does not mean that its gospel by any means, am I a sceptic? yep you bet. general public consensus on the percentage of these (pred) VS those (holly, quadra, BG etc etc) agrees with me on this one. I truly am glad your into your pred....they just arnt the end all most bestest thing out there
Old 04-07-2010, 10:36 AM

Predator VS Holley

Just to let yall know, I am not an "old" guy nor am I young. I am almost 40 and have been hot rodding and drag racing for 20 years. I have owned almost every type of carb there is from a rochester to a holley to a barry grant, QFT, etc. including a Predator. The last drag car I had was a heavy 72 Gran Torino Sport Fastback with a big block in it weighing nearly 3800. I had carb issues from Day one and tried every holley I could think of and then threw an Edelbrock in the mix. Each one had their issues. Finnally an old man recommended a Predator to me and told me that if I set it up the way he told me, and I wasnt satisfied with it, he would buy it from me for what I had in it. I did as he said and installed a 2'' phenolic spacer plate, a reverse bellcrank kit, and adjust it as the instructions say. I did exactly that and my car responded better than it ever has. It picked up 3 tenths of a second in the 8th mile and for the first time pulled the front tires off of the ground. I am back into racing now with a 2500 lb tube chassis car with an alcohol burning sbc. I have a holley 850 that is giving me fits. Guess what.....I'm going to go back to the predator and convert it to alky and avoid all the mess that I did the first time. The predator has impressed me more than any carb I have ever used. It's the closest thing to fuel injection there is on the market!!!!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:25 PM

We use on on the rail wich is a 496 stroker dodge. Not liking a throtle stop is why we whent to one long ago havnt looked back sence. And frosty intakes are nice too my dad just wished they came out with there 1400 sigh.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.