Hot Rod Forum banner

predator carb v.s. holley 750 dyno chart

110K views 63 replies 31 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
just thought you might like to see this for those that are not sure about he carb.

Attachments

See less See more
#55 ·
wow, people hateing on this carb so much is worth giving it a try. I know hollys work but who wants to be just like there neighbor? Dare to be different. Ive had rochestors, edelbrocks, and now my speed demon which I love! Plus it looks good and I found it new for a steal of a deal because someone read a bunch of negative responses after having bought it. I picked it up for a bill! lol If I ever come across a good deal Il try it!:boxing:

#56 ·
Defiantly! I don't have any pic's yet but I partially tore it down, in between jobs, and it looks pretty good!
Don't seem like it saw much action, could be a good thing... Now the problem is fitting it under the hood... Damn thing is tall.
It's got a #3 cam in it now. Is the difference the fuel metering valve or the cams?

#58 ·
From years back both. And the passages were bigger so as not to restrict alcy flow! Its been 30 years LOL Hard to remember! You used to be able to by the alcy or gas kits for them but I don't remember a conversion kit To convert gas to alc. the passages were different. A lot of roundy rounders used the alcy predators! They were the flash in the pan for a few years and faded out of style as carb & injection technology passed them by! They do look cool though!!!!!:D

Jester

#59 ·
FWIW I ran Holly's, Carters etc for a long time. Finally gave a Predator a try on my 71 Mustang. Never looked back. Loved it! 351C 4V, 11:1, Comp Cams 305H, .585 lift, Torker 2, BW t-10 4spd, 3.73 9" blah blah blah. Ran better and always consistent.

Seriously thinking about using another one for my 347 stroker Falcon project :)

#61 ·
This thread is still around!! LOL

anyway, I have run Predators, Holleys and Edelbrocks. If you have the time, money and tuning experience I would say a fully preped holley will be the winner. If your the average joe carb tuner the Predator would win hands down! The throttle response is INSTANT.

They are very simple in all aspects, that is also their downfall. Tuning is fairly limited in compassion to other carbs. One other thing they do well is 930CFM !!!! For the price of a used one and a rebuild kit you can have a giant Variable carb. Don't like it? Re-sell it on Ebay and your not out anything.

#63 ·
predator

Just bought a late model pred. carb for very cheap...I've built Holleys all my life from 1850s too 3310s too 4779s.I'm putting together a 427w sbf for strip use only.I'm going too find out what the facts are!! I can make a Holley do whatever I need.I'm open too "new" or old ideas.The carb looks very simple I am sure it flows well but making it give a good hp and torque curve is what I'am going too see if it will do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.