Preloading Adjustable Coil-Over With Longer Springs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2006, 06:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Preloading Adjustable Coil-Over With Longer Springs

Is it unsafe or bad practice to use a spring compressor to mount a longer softer spring on a coil-over shock?

For instance, if a coil-over shock will accept a 12 inch spring when fully extended, but is one inch short of being able to accept a 14 inch spring, could you temporarily compress the spring one inch to get it mounted on the coil-over, then take the compressor off to mount the assembly?

I am looking for a softer ride, but don't quite have enough space to mount the longer shock for a 14 inch spring.

John

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Seems fine to me.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:21 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTN

Is it unsafe or bad practice to use a spring compressor to mount a longer softer spring on a coil-over shock?

For instance, if a coil-over shock will accept a 12 inch spring when fully extended, but is one inch short of being able to accept a 14 inch spring, could you temporarily compress the spring one inch to get it mounted on the coil-over, then take the compressor off to mount the assembly?

I am looking for a softer ride, but don't quite have enough space to mount the longer shock for a 14 inch spring.

John
It seems to me putting a spring on the assembly longer than what it was designed to accept would hinder shock travel, resulting in lose fillings and aggravated hemorrhoids...
Old 07-17-2006, 06:47 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

I don't know about others, but I almost always have to use spring compressors to get my coils on my shocks...and I'm using the correct length springs. However, I think Kultulz is also right that if you put a 12" spring on a 10" shock it is going to have an unpredictable effect on shock travel and ride.

I don't think you'll hurt anything by trying it, but you may not end up with the desired result.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

This will not affect shock absorber function. The shock hasn't a clue as to the conditions when fully extended. It only reacts to loads and velocities in the working range and, hopefully, you won't be encountering pot holes that deep.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:05 AM

Last photo:

Billyshope,

You're the man when it comes to suspensions, but I have a follow up question to your response. By loading a shock designed to accommodate a 10" coil with a 12" coil (or let's say a 14" coil to really test the theory), isn't it possible to load the shock incorrectly so that it is no longer functioning within it's design range and thus compromise its efficiency. Yes, you might be able to force the coil onto the shock, but will the shock function correctly once you have it together?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

One safety concern might be that an unknowing person could remove the assembly and try to remove the spring without realizing it is preloaded one inch. If he tried to remove the top spring perch by twisting it with force to release it, that perch could become a projectile.

But I think I have decided to stay with the recommended 12 inch spring -- the softer 14 inch spring would have to ride a little above the recommended ride height range with two people in the car which is the typical situation.

John
Old 07-17-2006, 08:25 AM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShope

This will not affect shock absorber function.

The shock hasn't a clue as to the conditions when fully extended. It only reacts to loads and velocities in the working range

and, hopefully, you won't be encountering pot holes that deep.
You have just contradicted yourself...

If the shock is not allowed to travel the full transverse of it's designed travel, it cannot perform as it was designed/intended. The shock will not be able to compress to the point it was designed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTN

One safety concern might be that an unknowing person could remove the assembly and try to remove the spring without realizing it is preloaded one inch. If he tried to remove the top spring perch by twisting it with force to release it, that perch could become a projectile.

You know something? That is a very good point and something I did not think of...

I would most likely be the one to try and remove the spring and loose a few teeth...

I am not an expert, but I have stayed in a Holiday Inn Express before...

Am Looking For Factory/Aftermarket Speed Parts For The MEL (MERC-EDSEL-LINC-TBIRD) Engine Family (383-410-430-462) Produced From 1958 To 1968

Also Early FORD Special Service Tools

-Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln Engine Forum

Old 07-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboy
Billyshope,

(or let's say a 14" coil to really test the theory)
Let's make it 14 feet long. So long as the rate is correspondingly lowered (and it doesn't go solid, of course), so that the ride height remains the same, the shock will be unaffected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ
You have just contradicted yourself...
Normally, the shock is never fully extended unless the car is up on a lift. And, even then, many competition cars...such as the Cup cars...use a chain or some other means to prevent full extension.

I hope you're not concerned about shock damage during spring installation. These forces would be small compared to those encountered during normal operation.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Let's make it 14 feet long. So long as the rate is correspondingly lowered (and it doesn't go solid, of course), so that the ride height remains the same, the shock will be unaffected.
Ah, okay, I get it once you include those two caveats - corresponding lowering of the rate and retaining original ride height.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:27 PM
aka Duke of URL

Quote:

Normally, the shock is never fully extended unless the car is up on a lift. And, even then, many competition cars...such as the Cup cars...use a chain or some other means to prevent full extension.

I hope you're not concerned about shock damage during spring installation. These forces would be small compared to those encountered during normal operation.
The shock will be extended more if a longer higher rate spring (especially longer than what the shock was designed to accept) unless the vehicle is one heavy mutha (and in this case, the spring is specd incorrectly).

This is why if one changes the trim height on a normal suspension, shock travel has to be figured in or the vehicle will not ride/handle correctly.

The spring will be doing the majority of the work in this instance, not the shock. Most shocks have internal limiters for extension or external limiters for compression.

Just the safety aspect of it says no.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:45 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned the possibility of coil bind issues. Using a longer spring in a shorter space...well it could happen.

Russ

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.