Prep after chemical strip, before primer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2004, 02:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Prep after chemical strip, before primer?

Car: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS

Plan: Complete major body work like panel replacement, dent removal, etc. Next, have the entire body chemically dip stripped. (I've weighed sanding, sand blasting, localized chemical strippers, etc. and have decided to go with chemical dip stripping.)

Question: Whats the right body prep in between getting the car back stripped and spraying on the primer?

I realize I'll need to blow any residual chemicals out from all the crevices. I may even bake it out. (I have access to an oven.) But once I'm confident Iv'e gotten rid of the chemicals, then what. JUst tack it and shoot, or some sanding?

Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2004, 03:00 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

First I would suggest you get the body dipped prior to replacing any metal or fixing dents. It is very possible the stripping would turn up more metal that needs to be repaired or replaced so you should wait till you know what you're dealing with before you spend all that time welding in patch panels.

Once the car is stripped all you need to do is hose off the protective coating the metal stripper put on, blow it dry and then coat the whole thing inside and out, every nook and cranny, with epoxy primer. (Metal etching primer would work as well.) The epoxy primer will protect and seal the bare metal and give you a good starting point for any metal replacement that has to be done and the rest of your bodywork.

Centerline
http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com
Old 02-04-2004, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

i disagree, i would either take the car to be dipped and then do all the bodywork, don't worry about the coating yet, when you are done with all the sheet-metal and dent pulling. THEN you take the car to the sandblaster and have the care blasted with a mild medium, you aren't trying to remove 45 years of paint just clean the metal. Then do your filler work and paint with the primer that goes with the system your car is going to be painted with, spies Hecker, House of Kolor or PPG The sandblasted surface is perfect for paint adhesion and its completely oxide free...
Old 02-04-2004, 04:26 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally posted by deuce_454
take the car to be dipped and then do all the bodywork, don't worry about the coating yet, when you are done with all the sheet-metal and dent pulling. THEN you take the car to the sandblaster and have the care blasted
And what is the reasoning behind this? It sounds like a plan if duece is paying for the extra sandblasting...
There is no reason to do this twice. The stripping process goes through a number of steps which neutralizes the acids and then coats the bare metal with a phosphoric coating. This is a good rust inhibiter if you don't take a few years to get the body work done or leave it outside in the weather... Follow Centerlines advice and you'll be fine.

Mark
Old 02-04-2004, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

the couple of years part was exactly the reason to have the car lightly blasted after bodywork. if he is anything like me it wont be 3 weeks in the making getting the car done. also clean steel is the best furface to paint on, not 2 years of oxidation or ironphosphare residue with questionable adhesion. atleast strip the car first and then sand it completely again to remove residu eand oxidation before applying primer or filler, let alone paint. and if you just pay for the shipping to me ill personally oversee the mediablasting my self, AND pay for it astroracer.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:04 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally posted by deuce_454
and [COLOR=red]if you just pay for the shipping[/COLOR] to me ill personally oversee the mediablasting myself, AND pay for it astroracer.
ROTFLOL.... That's pretty funny deuce! I wonder what shipping a Chevelle from Indy to Copenhagen would be...
Centerline is telling him to bury the car in epoxy primer after he gets it back from the stripper. This is the best thing to do... get the car protected, especially inside, and then do the body work...
Old 12-08-2004, 06:02 AM

Last photo:

GMW,

66' SS Chevelle, definitely worth the bucks to do it right. You"ll get the bucks back if you ever do sell the car.

Do have it stripped/dipped.

You need to build a rotisserie for applying the epoxy to the bare steel body shell.

Best to strip/dip/epoxy all in one day if possible. Dip the doors one day, hood and trunk another day etc.

You'll thank me 100 times later as your doing the body work on the rotisserie.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.