Prep of Hyd Rollers help please - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011, 01:02 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Prep of Hyd Rollers help please

Never installed hyd rollers before. just had a question on
prep. I know old hyd flat tappet lifters I used to soak in oil
for a few days, "do you soak hyd roller lifters in oil too"? and
for how long? Plus I see sometimes guys put screens on the holes
in the block in the lifter valley...is this so that if the lifter comes apart
the pieces don't find their way to the pan/pump?
Thank you

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Soak, dip, whatever. When you prime the oil pump you'll be spinning it until you get oil out of the pushrods, which means you've filled the lifters anyway.

A hydraulic flat tappet lifter is the same as a roller, its just that the roller has, well, a roller on the bottom.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:42 PM

No soaking

Never soak new hydraulic lifters in oil, Risolone, Marvel Mystery Oil or transmission fluid. Doing that merely fills the lifters with oil and then they are "pumped up" and you cannot set the preload.

New lifters are shipped with only enough machine oil in them to prevent rust and that is all that is needed until the lifter preload is set. After you set the preload of each lifter in the correct sequence, pre-lube the engine with a engine priming tool (Comp Cams 4921 or equal) through the distributor hole using a varible speed reversable drill or use a speed handle as your helper turns the engine through several revolutions by hand using the crank bolt. If the engine is already in the vehicle, you can crank the engine with the starter a few times. Those pre-lubing procedures will fill the lifters with engine oil to the adjusted preload setting.

Last edited by MouseFink; 05-17-2011 at 01:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

I've NEVER had an issue setting preload with lifters that had oil in them, new or used.

How do you set preload on a set of lifters after you remove the heads?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:50 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

There's no need to soak the lifters or to submerge them in motor oil and use a pushrod to pump them up.

BUT- if anything, having the lifters pumped up can make finding zero lash easier, IMO. In any event, anyone w/any real experience will not be bothered either way- lifters dry or pumped up, who cares. The oil system will be primed eventually before starting and should the valve adjustment need to be done again, the lifters will be pumped up, and I know of no one who would bother to remove the lifters and drain them before readjusting the lifter preload.

I really wouldn't recommend the starter be used to prime the oil system on a new cam and lifters. This just serves to wipe the lube off the lobes that much sooner. Any speed drill works, doesn't need to be variable speed- it just has to be able to spin the pump.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:42 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I just put a some moly assembly lube on the roller - the new camshaft was also slathered as well when it went in and then just put some more on the push rod tips. I then prelube the engine through the distributor hole with a drive shaft to the oil pump. No need to pump them up
Old 05-18-2011, 03:18 AM

roller lifters

Don't worry about wiping the lube off roller lifters when cranking the engine with the starter. That is one of the advantages of using roller lifters.

Never fill lifter with oil and then attempt to set the lifters at zero preload as previously suggested. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to start the engine because the pumped up lifters would be holding all the valves open. The lifter preload must be set BEFORE starting the engine. GM recomends that you set the preload with the engine running at 20 lb. torque but that is with stock net-lash adjustment rocker arms and stock camshafts. However, a fully adjustable valve train is used with high lift hydraulic lifter camshafts and requires a half-travel preload setting. Some aftermarket limited travel hydraulic roller lifters are set at .004" lash just like a solid lifter and require poly-locks to hold the lash setting.

If you have filled the lifters with oil before installing them, you will need to crank the engine with the starter in order to bleed off the lifters until you can properly set the preload at half plunger travel. Then you can install the valve covers and forget about the lifters. When the lifters are correctly adjusted to the half travel preload setting, the engine will start and run and you will not need to reset the lifter preload.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:03 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Clarification-

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I really wouldn't recommend the starter be used to prime the oil system on a new cam and lifters. This just serves to wipe the lube off the lobes that much sooner.
This was obviously in regards to a flat tappet cam, as has been repeated here countless times. A roller cam and lifters only needs motor oil on them at start up- not moly break in lube as used on FT cam/lifters. My regrets if this caused any confusion.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:09 AM

Hydraulic rollers

Fastest65 inquired about hydraulic roller lifters....obviously.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:16 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseFink
Never fill lifter with oil and then attempt to set the lifters at zero preload as previously suggested. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to start the engine because the pumped up lifters would be holding all the valves open.
This is just plain false.

Otherwise every time anyone readjusted the preload on an engine that has been run, they'd need to remove each lifter, disassemble it, drain it, then reinstall, etc. before being 'able' to set the preload.

Nevermind all the engines that have been successfully started up after having the lifters pre-pumped up in a can of oil and a p-rod before the preload was set.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:48 AM

insane

On an engine that has been run, the lifter preload should already be set. If you remove the lifters for any reason, you will obviously lose the preload setting and then lifters must be bled of oil, reinstalled and the preload reset at 1/2 travel. The lifters can then be filled with oil by starting the engine with the lifters at the correct preload setting.

I cannot believe that is so difficult to understand.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:23 AM
WFO

Last photo:

You are a real piece o' work, mf. I'm going to refrain from any more conversation on this after this post, if I can- I hope that whoever reads this doesn't go through any unnecessary BS like
Quote:
If you remove the lifters for any reason, you will obviously lose the preload setting and then lifters must be bled of oil, reinstalled and the preload reset at 1/2 travel. The lifters can then be filled with oil by starting the engine with the lifters at the correct preload setting.
I know of NO ONE who would do as I have you quoted as saying above. The idea that pumped up lifters need to be:

removed from the engine
bled of oil
reinstalled

before they can be preloaded is ludicrous to the point of being laughable- if it wasn't for the thought that some new guy might actually believe your goofy statements.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I don't quite get where people get some of their information. A pumped up lifter might hold the valve off the seat initially but by the time you've run through all 16 and reinstalled the valve covers the lifters have bleed down back to their correct positions. To the original poster: don't soak the lifters in any solvents as that will dry out the needle bearings, wipe some oil into the lifter bores with your finger, then quickly dunk the roller lifter in some 10-30w and install, adjust the valve lash.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Thank you. Leave it to one guy who has no hands-on experience to make something that's so elementary into something complicated beyond reason. Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm trapped in some faulty alternate universe where I'm surrounded by google gurus babbling nonsense like on that commercial for the search engine.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
Thank you. Leave it to one guy who has no hands-on experience to make something that's so elementary into something complicated beyond reason. Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm trapped in some faulty alternate universe where I'm surrounded by google gurus babbling nonsense like on that commercial for the search engine.
Cobalt - sometime ya just have to turn your back on some folks for a while and walk away. My "prophetic" statement of the day. And yes, I will continue using assembly lube on roller lifters .... Why? Just because I've always glopped up lifters

Dave W

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.