Prep steps for painting butt weld lines. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2005, 06:47 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Prep steps for painting butt weld lines.

OK,
I'm about done grinding down my butt weld lines which is inside my f-150 crew cab. Here are the steps I'm going to take before I get ready to paint. I could use some advice to make sure I'm not forgetting anything:
1) using 50 grit 3m roloc do final grinding of weld line
2) make sure I remove paint about 3 inches on each side of weld line taking it down to bare metal.
3) clean weld line and 3 inch line with Advantage 190 wax and grease remover. Let sit for about 30 minutes to properly dry.
4) mix my mp170 epoxy primer with my mp175 catalyst as specified.
5) shot first coat of epoxy primer with my HVLP gun using a 1.5 tip. wait for appropriate cure time
6) do step 5 again to shoot second coat.
7) let sit over night
8) Next apply body filler on weld lines, and shape and feather as needed.
9) do steps 6 and 7 again.

Now heres where I need some help. once I've done step 9, do I need a sealer for the primer? or am I ready to start my base coat? Also what type of body filler should I use? I was reading my Eastwood's's catalog and there were several fiberglass Evercoat fillers, can someone suggest a good one? Well I think that about covers it for me. Any tips or suggestions on steps I missed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mario P

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
You have it covered pretty well. Evercoat RAGE is a good filler. If this filling needed isn't very deep you can use Evercoat Metal Glaze polyester putty. It is much easier to sand and feather. You would not need a sealer over your primer if it is a quality 2K, be it urethane or epoxy.

Do take care in sanding the surrounding area. You want to sand BEYOND where the primer is going to end with at least 320. Now, the feather edging of the paint and out onto the immediate area can be 180. But after that, sand it with 320. When you prime just stop at that 320. DO NOT prime out onto unsanded paint. If you do this well, no sealer is needed. If you skimp, you can get lifting or shrinking issues at that edge.

Brian
Old 11-18-2005, 09:54 PM

I like to seal everything before i start laying my base coat down. Ever coat
RAGE XTREME works great for me sands really nice!!

70 runner
Old 11-19-2005, 01:11 PM

Last photo:

2k Primer?

MARTINSR.
I'm using PPG's MP170 which I don't think is a 2K primer? If this is not a 2K primer, what should I seal my epoxy primer with? and after I seal it do I need to sand it for better adhesion on the Base Coat?

Thanks.

Mario P.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:26 PM

Last photo:

MP170 is epoxy right? That is "2K". Anything with a hardener, catylist, Activator, that is causing a chemical cure is 2K. The 2K stands for "Two Componant".

Brian
Old 11-19-2005, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Thanks a bunch, I felt like an idiot when people were talking about 2k. I hate to say this but when I went to the local jobber to get my stuff I was looking on the shelves with something that would have "2K" on the front. Thanks a bunch for not smacking me on that one. Cool, no sealer needed then but do I need to sand the last coat of epoxy primer before my base coat? or is it time to get down with that coat. I 'm luck because here in San Antonio we can be 70 degrees in November and December. So heat for painting will not be an issue.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:45 PM

Last photo:

Please don't feel bad. For some reason urethane has became "2K" in 99% of guys painting and epoxy is "epoxy". I don't understand why, "2K" means two componant, epoxy, urethane, polyester, and even ISO free products like PPG's NCP are "2K".

Just remember when you are talking to the guy at the paint store he may be thinking urethane when you say "2K" anyway.

Brian
Old 11-19-2005, 08:32 PM

sealer

I use DAS 3025 sealer activator 3030 DT reducer 3.1 .1 ratio its a wet on wet sealer lays down real nice using SATA NR 2000 1.3 fluid tip. NO sanding before base. Let sealer flash 15 min. spray base .I put a med. wet coat on let flash real good then wet sand with 600 grit for soild colors 1000 grit for metallic colors.This takes any nibs out that were in the sealer then 3 to4 more coats of base Really works nice!! Just make sure to get dry good before spaying. You wont need to take a garden hose in booth just a spay bottle works fine.

Good luck let me know how things go

70 runner

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.