Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - preparation of pitted metal after shotblasting
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Randy,

Well, unless you are about to set up a shop in Cape Town, I won't be much competition to you and even if you did, I work in the film industry and I love it! So with me at least you are not working yourself out of a job.

Plus, you seem to me to be someone who loves what they do, just like I love telling stories through film, and the great thing about doing something you love, is that usually you become darned good at it.

There will always be others that are in it or come into a industry to make a quick buck, but the quality (or lack thereof) of the work will always show them up for what they are.

I know in my industry quality is about taking the time to craft something beautiful, putting something of yourself into every frame, every shot and often times you can't hope to recover all those hours when it comes time to invoice the client.

But, when all is said and done you know you have done a good job and that it is very likely that client will come back to you over and over again, and tell others about you.

I would much rather be known and remembered for what you pulled off on that Willy's roof, plus tooling up to offer replacement panels for others (any probably many more things I don't know about), than be making quick easy money by taking advantage of people that don't know any better.

Plus you are only 34 for crying out loud! When I began to read though your posts on this forum I thought you were easily in your fifties for some of the experience and wisdom that come across in what you write.

So I say more power to you! for whatever that's worth.

Okay, I'm done with my little spiel now.

I got to removing the seats, old carpets (what was left of them), headliner, and some other interior trim yesterday and I'll continue today, maybe trying to pursuade those dents to pop up.

I don't know if this will change anything, but there has been a interior fire at some point in the car, although the door panels are all still in one piece apart from melted armrests. I am not sure if the fire could have been hot enough to actually be the cause of the roof collapsing as it has, I doubt it, but if it had, would there not be some added complications?

I am not a metal expert (which is why I am writing to you) but I know that metal changes it's chemistry in certain ways when it gets hot and then cools, giving different properties depending on the rate at which it cooled down (and probably also how hot it got in the first place).

Hmm, but then again the vinyl headliner showed no signs of melting, so the roof couldn't have gotten all that hot.

I'll let you know if thosee dents come up as easily as you thought.

Thanks again,

Rich