preparation of pitted metal after shotblasting - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Hi Rich, (finally!! a guy who isn't afraid to use his real name)

I hope you do keep us posted of your progress. It's a great learning tool for us all. As more of you guys use the methods I constantly ramble on about, I think it will become apparent just how simple it really is. I just hope I don't talk my self out of a job!!!

Believe it or not, it's much easier to teach a guy who has never done any of this type of work before, because they are the ones who will actually pay close attention and follow every rule. I ran into the same problem teaching newbies in the body shop. The guys straight out of high scool with no formal training would hang on my every word and pick it right up, whereas the guys who had gone to "auto body school" THOUGHT they had all the answers and wouldn't listen to anything.

Male ego is our own worst enemy!!!

Randy Ferguson

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Rich Lackey

Last journal entry: Rich Lackey is back on Hotrodders!
Last photo:

Hi Randy,

Well, unless you are about to set up a shop in Cape Town, I won't be much competition to you and even if you did, I work in the film industry and I love it! So with me at least you are not working yourself out of a job.

Plus, you seem to me to be someone who loves what they do, just like I love telling stories through film, and the great thing about doing something you love, is that usually you become darned good at it.

There will always be others that are in it or come into a industry to make a quick buck, but the quality (or lack thereof) of the work will always show them up for what they are.

I know in my industry quality is about taking the time to craft something beautiful, putting something of yourself into every frame, every shot and often times you can't hope to recover all those hours when it comes time to invoice the client.

But, when all is said and done you know you have done a good job and that it is very likely that client will come back to you over and over again, and tell others about you.

I would much rather be known and remembered for what you pulled off on that Willy's roof, plus tooling up to offer replacement panels for others (any probably many more things I don't know about), than be making quick easy money by taking advantage of people that don't know any better.

Plus you are only 34 for crying out loud! When I began to read though your posts on this forum I thought you were easily in your fifties for some of the experience and wisdom that come across in what you write.

So I say more power to you! for whatever that's worth.

Okay, I'm done with my little spiel now.

I got to removing the seats, old carpets (what was left of them), headliner, and some other interior trim yesterday and I'll continue today, maybe trying to pursuade those dents to pop up.

I don't know if this will change anything, but there has been a interior fire at some point in the car, although the door panels are all still in one piece apart from melted armrests. I am not sure if the fire could have been hot enough to actually be the cause of the roof collapsing as it has, I doubt it, but if it had, would there not be some added complications?

I am not a metal expert (which is why I am writing to you) but I know that metal changes it's chemistry in certain ways when it gets hot and then cools, giving different properties depending on the rate at which it cooled down (and probably also how hot it got in the first place).

Hmm, but then again the vinyl headliner showed no signs of melting, so the roof couldn't have gotten all that hot.

I'll let you know if thosee dents come up as easily as you thought.

Thanks again,

Rich
Old 01-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,321 Times in 1,146 Posts
Damn, you explain that stuff well Randy. I will be picturing those concepts each time I work with the stuff.

I know everyone doesn't need to know what is happening on a molecular level. But it really helps me understand how to make that metal do what I want looking at it as you just explained it.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:42 AM
Rich Lackey

Last photo:

Hi Randy,

Good news! The major dents popped right up as you said they would! It looks like a different roof now, it is already a huge improvement although it seems there is still a lot of work to do before it's perfect.

I can't believe it freaked me out so much, I thought I was going to have to cut the whole roof out and strat from scratch!

I'll post some pictures for you as soon as I can download them off my camera.

I think the rest of the work that will be necessary is easily covered by your 'dent repair' guide, but I'll still keep you posted on how it's going.

Thanks again,

Rich
Old 01-31-2005, 04:57 AM
Rich Lackey

Last photo:

Hmmm, went paint shopping today, I can't find an epoxy primer for the life of me. Everybody wants to sell me etch primer.

Randy what's the verdict, you recommended a few coats of epoxy and then a urethane primer. I sanded a very small area yesterday and the metal is not as bad as I thought it was, it probably won't take as much build to smooth it out as I first thought. If it's smooth enough just from sanding can I get away with just applying a etch primer to the bare metal?

It seems everything on this car is turning out to be not quite as bad as it looks, which is great.

Rich Lackey

Ok, found the epoxy primer, so I'll stick with the original plan. Epoxy followed by Urethane.

Last edited by rlackey; 01-31-2005 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:31 AM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:

Hi Rich,

Sounds like you're doing a great job! Keep up[ the good work.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Randy
Old 12-23-2005, 07:23 AM

I must add to this thread as some people made some incorrect statements.

I have sandblasted 3 cars and not found a single distorted panel due to sandblasting. I even tried to warp a panel and could not.

The secret is to understand what you are doing.

I run a pressure blaster at 40 psi.

I open the sand mix valve on the bottom till I can just make out that sand is in the stream.

This gives me low energy impact. I have a small amount of particles traveling with moderate amount of energy. It slowly takes everything off.

On the larger sheet metal panels I try to keep an angle to the work, though my testing proves this is not needed. I have even blasted thin French car metal with no distortion.

We started blasting our own parts when we paid to have a guy blast some Model A parts. They all came back ruined. Of course, they were done with high pressure air and a large quantity of sand in the stream.

For safety I used an air fed hood and a respirator. Sorry guys you only live once and it only costs a few $$ for such protections.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.