Preparing fiberglass for paint - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2011, 01:40 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

what can go wrong usually does when it comes to paint. i've done this 44 years and i need all the help i can get.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 11:28 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
what can go wrong usually does when it comes to paint. i've done this 44 years and i need all the help i can get.
For sure... In addition to a couple of changes I have made to my bucket, another reason it needs a complete repaint, is because after I did everything I could to make sure I had a clean paint job, it still ended up with fisheyes. Turns out my tired compressor was misting a little oil. Grrrrrrr. Now in addition to all my other precautions and water separator filter, I use a disposable filter right at the gun. $3.99 at HF, new one each time I spray paint...........Allan
Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

throw the ball filter away. they cause more problems than they are worth. plus they restrict flow.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:43 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
throw the ball filter away. they cause more problems than they are worth. plus they restrict flow.
Really? I knew that they would restrict flow somewhat , but wasn't aware of any problems associated with their use.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:57 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

It is important to have a filter in line at the end of the hose where it meets the gun. The black ball type are the best hands down. The orange colored ones degrade faster than the black ones but as long as your aware you'll be fine ..maybe why they cost a couple bucks more?
Either way they need to come off the gun when cleaning because the cleaning solvents will work their way through through air passages and get into the filter causing it harm.

Here is a link to the type I would recommend.
http://www.eastwood.com/disposable-i...ir-filter.html

***Also beware of egotistical negative sarcastic one line posters.
Look through some of their past posts and you will see a pattern. There is a ignore list in your control panel that makes them a non issue unless someone quotes them
Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
It is important to have a filter in line at the end of the hose where it meets the gun. The black ball type are the best hands down. The orange colored ones degrade faster than the black ones but as long as your aware you'll be fine ..maybe why they cost a couple bucks more?
Either way they need to come off the gun when cleaning because the cleaning solvents will work their way through through air passages and get into the filter causing it harm.

Here is a link to the type I would recommend.
http://www.eastwood.com/disposable-i...ir-filter.html

Look through some of their past posts and you will see a pattern. There is a ignore list in your control panel that makes them a non issue unless someone quotes them
Thanks on both counts milo. I don't paint much anymore so it is not a big deal to just get a new ball filter each time that I paint. They also work good on my pressure feed sandblaster to keep the water out of the sand...........Allan
Old 04-05-2011, 06:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
Whatch You Talkin’ ‘Bout Willis?”

Not everyone is a windbag, nor do they need to impress with lengthy posts.

while some post a page, others post a sentence.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:23 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I can't imagine having that filter hanging off the inlet of the gun if you have good enough filtration before the hose. It restricts movement low while painting things like fender bottoms and rocker panels, changes the gun balance and generally gets in the way. If you have water or oil carry over, you have other compressor and/or line problems that need to be addressed not band aided.

Dave W
Old 04-05-2011, 08:33 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I can't imagine having that filter hanging off the inlet of the gun if you have good enough filtration before the hose. It restricts movement low while painting things like fender bottoms and rocker panels, changes the gun balance and generally gets in the way. If you have water or oil carry over, you have other compressor and/or line problems that need to be addressed not band aided.

Dave W
If I was still in business or had a lot of disposable income I would rebuild my compressor and buy a top of the line filtration system. Since neither applies, I will be content with a band-aid ............. Allan
Old 04-05-2011, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool
Whatch You Talkin’ ‘Bout Willis?”

Not everyone is a windbag, nor do they need to impress with lengthy posts.

while some post a page, others post a sentence.
he makes a good point and I know exactly who he's referring to. He's specifically calling out snide posts with vague factoids that ultimately don't result in adding to the discussion; the posts are of low quality as accurate as they may be. In other words, almost a troll.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:41 AM
31 five window

Last journal entry: grill and rear end
Last photo:

Quote:
What should be used then?I am not questioning your knowledge,I am asking for it because after reading many of your posts I can tell you are not taking through your arse.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 AM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy
What should be used then?I am not questioning your knowledge,I am asking for it because after reading many of your posts I can tell you are not taking through your arse.
You shouldn't have to use anything at the gun. If you are relying on a cheap plastic ball filter to save your paint job, then you are asking for trouble. Like was said earlier too, it adds length to you gun, and they are easy to snap off. THEN you have a real problem. A) you have an airhose now that is whipping around the booth B) you have your trigger pulled when this happens, and with a gravity feed, now you have a stream of paint all over the car. Seen it happen first hand. Never used them since. A little maintainence on your other filtration, or add one more filter before the airhose and you will save yourself a costly redo!
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 AM

there are plenty of threads on here about how to run air lines from your compressor that is relatively cheap to do..just do a search on them.

yes you could get by with using those little filters....but if you do the right setup you wont ever have to worry about getting one of those filters every time you load up the paint gun. it does't take a huge amount of money to have a proper air line system......you dont need something extravagant that you see in these big bodyshops, in your garage or in your small shop. No way would i have a $3,000 refrigerant system and huge compressor in my shop at home that i have at my business.....well maybe if the money just happened to fall in my lap!

once its setup its there forever..of course with maintenance.....
Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

About 50 feet of copper line, a few copper fittings, a couple blow down legs, an oil filter at the compressor along with these - a $25 Harbor Freight filter for a pre filter and a $100 Sharpe self draining final filter works for me on hot fairly humid days. But if you want fish eyes, water carry over and the fun and costs for redoing a car a second (or more) time, by all means, use the crappy "final filters". Enjoy!! And of course, don't do ANY search here for good clean compressed air advice from a lot better pro level folks then my amateur efforts.

Dave W
Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
About 50 feet of copper line, a few copper fittings, a couple blow down legs, an oil filter at the compressor along with these - a $25 Harbor Freight filter for a pre filter and a $100 Sharpe self draining final filter works for me on hot fairly humid days. But if you want fish eyes, water carry over and the fun and costs for redoing a car a second (or more) time, by all means, use the crappy "final filters". Enjoy!! And of course, don't do ANY search here for good clean compressed air advice from a lot better pro level folks then my amateur efforts.

Dave W
And all this in my 10' x 20' garage? Nah, I'll just let my buddy with the body shop, paint for me in his paint booth. Nice setup though.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.