Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Prepping aftermarket panels for paint?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
Hey Mit , whats EDP mean???? I'm not up on all these terms...and why not just sand it off if you care enough to use SPI ???Personally I dont trust that primer that comes on it ... if I care enough to use SPI it comes off ,If I dont care (like a used car ) it stays on...It always so thin it sands off ez enough ,,,
EDP electro deposit primer, still remember this from my college days years ago
It's actually not bad primer and you can paint over it. These fenders were shipped all the way from Japan (according to the owner of the truck) and I tried wiping them with some acetone and it didn't come off easily. I just prepped them for epoxy outside and inside and then inside got some rubberized undercoating.
EDP is not as bad as some people might think and you shouldn't have problems with it later down the road. I see lots of people just slapping EDP primered parts on their cars and driving around and then months/years later I see these panels rusty. It's only meant to protect metal from rusting until you are ready to prep it and paint. It doesn't have permanent protection from elements like urethane has.
Most shops prep these panels same way, scuff, some primer and then color.
Think of it as gel coat on fiberglass panels, you don't take gel coat all the way off before you paint fiberglass panels, do you?