Hot Rod Forum banner

Prepping Aluminum Interior for Paint/Clear

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  maxx levell 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of finishing the aluminum interior pieces for my race car. I would like to clean them up prior to installing them in the car. I have marker lines on them and such where I needed alignment marks, etc...I am thinking about using carb cleaner to remove the lines and other assorted marks. Are there any special problems inherent with this?

Also, I am thinking that I need to cover the raw aluminum with some type of coating to keep from having to polish it all of the time. What is the best way to go about doing this? I'm either going to go with a clear coat, or possibly primer and paint. What do I need to do special to achieve this? I've heard that I will need to condition the aluminum before painting and primering. What do I use to do this? Do I have to do this if I am just going to clear coat it?

Sorry for so many questions, but this is the first time that I have used aluminum instead of sheet metal, and I don't want/can't spend all of my time polishing the aluminum to keep it looking presentable. I want to keep it as maintenance free as possible.

Thanks for any help,

Maxx Levell

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I dont know if this best, but it worked for me. I scuffed the aluminum with 400 grit in a pattern that looked right for the panel. Then I used a clear enamel paint over the aluminum. I did not want to spend a bunch of money is why I used enamel over urethane. It has been on around a year and still looks good. Of course it has not been out of my shop either. I thought it might be chip prone, but it seems to be pretty good.

Chris

#4 ·
Thanks Guys...

Thanks Guys,

I'm now thinking about powder-coating it. I wasn't aware that you could powder coat aluminum, but I have since been educated to the fact that you can. I'm leaning in that direction. Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.