Prepping Chassis? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Okay, I must have misunderstood...if we are talking about 1/10 of an inch in cross measuring, that doesn't sound bad at all. Do you have any documentation as what the Body Shop did. Was there metal replaced in the body, like the floor, or firewall pieces? You may have mentioned this and I apologize if it's repetitious but that would help.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 08:02 PM

Last photo:

The bodyshop replaced the rearpan and wheel arches

They also replaced the front fenders and wheel arches

Other than that they mainly did the detail work

Previously, the car has had a lot of panels replaced
Floors, inner and outer rockers, door skins.....

So I think quite a lot has been done over it's life which could have effected it's dimensions
That, and I don't think the new panels that are being sold are very accurate either
Old 08-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

When did you notice that the mounting holes in the body had been altered...was it before you took it to the Body Shop or was it something that they did?

Ray
Old 08-04-2013, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

The mounting holes were altered at the shop......but the panels were replaced before I took it to them

(I bought the car as a non running project)
Old 08-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Was the Body on the bolted to the frame when the Body Shop received your car?
Old 08-04-2013, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

The body was only bolted the the chassis at the rear

The holes they've elongated (inside the car) weren't fastened down, and neither were the fixings on the firewall (in the engine bay side)

I'm thinking the floors and rockers weren't fitted right previously, and that the shop just worked around it
Old 08-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

And that's exactly where I'm going with all the questions. Now...I need to look at this as if you brought the vehicle to me to get finished. With the Body mounted on the frame with only several bolts and holes weren't lining up, I would have explained the problems asked questions (just as I am now) and those questions would be.

1) What do you want?
2) What do you expect?
3) How far would you like us (now yourself) to go (with respect to having everything lining up properly or work with what has been done)?

So, at this stage in the game, these are questions that you need to answer for your self. I understand that you have a great deal of money invested in the vehicle. Anything can be repaired, almost anything can also be made to be serviceable. Can you live with what you have? Because to do it right would mean to take the body apart (mostly the floor, rockers and by the sounds of it and the firewall has been tampered with as well) and weld in proper panels, all the while checking for alignment to the frame.

If the frame of a vehicle is sound, I've used the frame of the vehicle as a jig for doing this type of work, building a vehicle from the foundation up if you will, not "hap hazardly" replacing panels without measuring properly, if a replacement panel is to short, lengthen it, if it's to long, shorten it, or make my own panels.

These are things that should have been brought your attention the day the shop took the job over. Have you ever confronted them as to why they said that the frame needed to be replaced? If you did and they answered because the mounting holes don't line up, then the shop didn't look at the body very closely. If it was for another reason, you need that information, you paid for that information.

We are across the Ocean away and are taking what your telling us and working with that information. Is there any other reason they would tell you that the frame needed replacing?

Ray
Old 08-05-2013, 06:43 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Ray

My personality is such that I want everything done properly

I believe everything should match up with the dimensions in the workshop manual

My dad says that's trying to be too accurate - but that's how it was built to start with, so it's hardly a tall order (in my very inexperienced opinion)

If something's wrong I'd want it correcting, not worked around

If that floor needs to come out, then that's what I'll do

I think that's where we're heading, I just didn't know if we've got enough measurements and info to get stuck in just yet

I feel like I'm chasing my tail at the moment. I feel like too many things have been changed and swapped for me to figure out what's correct and what isn't

My father is telling me I'm looking at it in too much detail. He's telling me as long as everything works, nothing catches, and it looks good and drives down the road straight then that should be good enough

I think he's worried I'll never get the car finished. I can see him point

The reason I'm looking at this right now is when I got the car back from the shop the body was bolted to the frame at the front and rear mounting points, but looked like it was pushed over to one side. It didn't look central

I noticed there was a support/strengthening bracket missing from under each side of the firewall (I'll post pictures in a bit)

When I went to fit the brackets I noticed the passenger side wouldn't fit as it needed minor fettling, but the gap for the drivers side was just far too small to fit the bracket in to even begin with

If I move the bodytub over so I can fit the brackets non of the mounting holes line up anymore

It looks like the passenger side floor, rockers and firewall are correct, but that the drivers side floor has been put in incorrectly

It looks as though its fitted to the rockers correctly, but that it sits too far inboard at the transmission tunnel and firewall, thereby making the gap for the bracket too small

I think as long as I can get everything bolted to my chassis I shouldn't worry too much about those final millimetres in the bodytub, but I need to figure out what's wrong with the floors (if it is the floors that are wrong) so I can get these brackets fitted

I did ask the shop about my frame and they said they had to exchange it because mine was twisted. When I pointed out it wasn't twisted and that they hadn't swapped my frame they told me I was wrong

They still say they've swapped my frame. Which I know they haven't

It's a bit like if I put your watch in a bowl with other watches of the same model - you'd always know which one was yours

I know they haven't swapped my frame, but they just stick to their story
I think they said it to try and justify my inflated bill
Old 08-05-2013, 07:36 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Your watch theory is very valid, just like identical twins, the mother always knows who is who.

From reading your posts I would have to agree with you that the floor was put in wrong. It may still be a good idea to double check the frame, just to absolutely certain that we are dealing with a straight piece...Your father is making a valid point but, it's your car and I understand, if it was mine, I would have a hard time driving it knowing that the floor was not installed correctly. After you are sure that the frame is good we can move on to replacing the floor properly if that's the direction you decide to go.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
John long (08-05-2013)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.