Prepping for paint - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2006, 01:22 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Prepping for paint

First off. Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I've read some threads and I think this would be a great place for some advice.

I'm getting a 92 Audi from my father in the next few months. But the paint job on it is horrible. And I don't have the thousands of dollars to spend on a nice new paintjob. There are a few other things that need to be done like some electrical and interior work. I was originally just going to have Maaco paint it. You know, one of those 400$ jobs. But I've read that Maaco isn't the way to go. Or at least not if you plan on getting it done at such a low price. So I figure if I prep it to be ready for paint, I'll save my self some money. And have a better paint job in the end.

I've got the time to do it. Just not sure about the funds. What I need to do is sand off the factory coat. Fill in the dents. And do anything else I may need to do. If there's any form of painting involved. I probably won't be able to do this myself. But anything before painting needs to be done. I can do it.

So here's my question. How do I go about this? What materials will I need? What steps do I need to take, to make sure everything will turn out good in the end? This is my first time ever on any form of body work. So if someone could take the time and help me out. I would greatly appreciate it.

-Raymond

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2006, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

Well if you are planning on taking to maaco for a paint job, you probably should do the prep yourself and remove what you can. I heard rumors on cheap jobs they don't even do any sanding, just spray some type of adhesion promotor on, and some will paint over dirt and get overspray on windows, ect. I am not going to say much more because maaco has been talked about enough on a ton of discussion boards, and one town might have one that does nice work, while the next does terrible. What you should sand the existing paint with will depend on what kind of paint is going to be used, and weather or not it will get a sealer coat. Anywhere as course as 240 grit dry if sealed or a single stage like imron that really can fill some course scratches, to a finer grit around 500 wet for metallics in a basecoat. You could probably start removing stuff that will be relatively easy to remove. Keep some notes or imbed it in your head when you take stuff off, how it came apart, so you will know how stuff goes back on when its time to reinstall everything. It probably will be best if you have another vehicle to drive, as prep and bodywork can take some time, even more for someone without a lot of experience. Then you can go around the car and circle dents and what needs fixing with a grease pencil to keep track of what you need to fix. Not knowing exactly what you need to fix, its hard to give much advice on how to go about fixing. Search threw posts for whatever you are looking to do, or ask specific questions as you run into them. Your first step though before doing anything- If you are not going to be painting this yourself, find who will be. Many shops won't paint over someone elses work. When you find someone who will do the painting that you feel comfortable with, ask them for advice and what products they use and recommend. Another thing you may want to check, If your local tech school has an autobody class, see if you can get it in. Back when I went, people only had to pay for materials, they had a good booth to paint in, and used top quality paint.Thats what I would try if you don't have a big budget to play with and aren't planning on painting it.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:15 PM

Last photo:

Wow, I'm getting old. When I was a kid Earl Scheib advertised on TV he would paint any car for $29.95.

Well, they still do it cheap (http://www.earlscheib.com)
I do like the way they explain in detail what they do for their Pro1 thru Pro4 paint-jobs.

When I think back to when I was 18 years old and first tried body work, I did a terrible job.

I really think if you want to get started in learning to do some of the work yourself, you need to have a friend that knows how show you. I think it would be extremely difficult to learn on your own even with how to books. Not impossible but difficult.

If you are really, really interested in this and you would like it to be a hobby that you continue, then this car is a good place to start. If not, then have it done professionally and I wouldn't go any farther than removing some trim like was suggested.

Last edited by roger1; 02-14-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:34 PM

Last photo:

Boy rodger, you must be old, lol. There use to be an earl shrieb downtown here in green bay. I think it was in the late 80's they would paint cars any color for 99.95. They closed down here I want to save maybe 6 years ago, and the building was bought by the Green Bay Press Gazette. In body school, the teacher was telling us about someone he knew who was happy with a van he had painted there. He showed it to him, and he said, yeah it doesn't look too bad. Then he got up and checked the roof, it was never even painted, just some overspray up there. My dad had a cougar he sanded down and had painted by schrieb in the 70's and he the paint looked pretty good. was a bright red. My dad used an electric jitterbug to sand it with, but he said you could see squiggily marks made by the jitterbug, either he must have used too course a grit, or the paint didn't fill em in.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:34 PM

I did take autotech in school. Autobody didn't have a paint booth. Actually, I don't know how much autobody work they really did in that class... lol. I will not be painting the car myself. But I want to do all the prep work up to that point. The biggest thing is removing the factory paint. Do I sand down to the metal? Or the primer? I know there will be some dents that will need to be filled in. Noting too major. I want to be able to have it so the painters only have to wipe it down with a clothe before painting it. I'll even do the tape work... and have the car towed in. Having a second car while I do this won't be a problem. I guess what I'm looking for, is what materials will I need to remove the factory pain, and what do I need for filling in the dents. I understand I'll only be sanding and filling... but how should I go about it? 80 grit, then 120, then 200, then 400? This will most likely all be dry... I would start filling after the 80 grit, then get that done and finish off eventually with the 400. And maybe even 800 if I have to. Time and patience isn't a problem either. Rushing things will only make the "finished product" not vert satisfactory. Hmm, what else do I need to know. Brands for filler/hardener? I'll update this as I think of more things. Tomorrow I'll cheack the car for everything that I'll be planning on doing. Maybe get pictires of the dents as well. There's also spots where the paint has peeled or chipped. The hood is really horrible. That's the main reason for having it repainted. Thanks for the help so far.

-PBall
Old 02-14-2006, 11:09 PM

prepping for paint

If the original finish is dececnt (i.e. a few calibres shy of factory), then leave it for now. Circle the dents in the original finish while you can see them. Repair the dents as required. If the original finish is flaking or has white bubbles in it, then you should sand down far enough to get below the problem coat. Try not to hit bare metal in too large of an area, as this will require an etch prime to replace the factory applied zinc coating. These can get expensive. Most fillers will have a good corosion inhibiter to take care of the large areas of bare steel, and the two-part (catylized) primer will do the rest. As for the rest of the finish, If this is your first job, then sand the entire car with #400 grit wet-or-dry paper with lots of water, and use a soft foam interface block. this will keep all of those fingermarks out. Don't leave any shiny spots in the finish, and use a grey scotchbrite pad to scuff around the door handles, mouldings, trim, etc. Wash the car thouroghly, including the jambs and underhood. No dust is the idea. Insist on the shop sealing the car to even out the undercoat. Hope I could help.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:22 PM

I just went and saw everything that I'll need done. The hood has major peeling issues. It's only the clear coat that's peeling. And there are scratches just about everywhere. But they're not deep, probably didn't make it to the base coat. There are a few nicks and dents. But can be easily filled.

I'm going to start taking off the getting ready to sand in a few days. Can I sand to the factory base coat? or should I sand down to bare metal? Can I use filler over the sanded factory base or does it need to be down to bare metal? I'll be having somone else do the painting. So I need to know if I need to go down to bare metal or not. So the painters can do their thing. I'm going to have it painted gloss black. Not anythign original, but I happen to like black. The trim on the outside now is black plastic. Any way of getting it chromed? Maybe sad the trim down and have it dipped?

-PBall

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.