Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - prepping for Por 15 without the marine clean step
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 09:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
well I wouldn't want to use the marine clean cause I figured it was some sort of cleaner in which there's alternatives, and according to you I was right.
ah yes, I see where you are going with that. Just use whatever degreaser you have. It just needs a grease and wax-free surface, like anything. For that matter there's a lot of cheaper zinc phosphate alternatives to their Metal Prep, as well. I was using a semi-local product (when I still lived in Iowa) by a company called PPC, and the product was called Phix (Corrosion treatment).

In fact I still use it to spray on bare metal to keep it from flashing. It turns the metal a nice light gray with a coating of zinc, but it's not foolproof.

On that note, I have found that if I keep bare metal clean and degreased, it takes a lot longer to flash rust. I figured this out from an observation I made when I had flash rust spots in the shape of my finger tips