Prepping Rubber Corvette Bumpers - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Prepping Rubber Corvette Bumpers

I'm in the process of repainting my 1975 Corvette and I need advice about the proper/best way to prepare the rubber bumpers for primer and paint. The current bumper covers are showing well-oxidized silver paint and some bare rubber in several spots. They are both GM factory replacements and worth saving but I am reluctant to use solvents if there is the slightest chance that they might bleed through and ruin the new paint. Any ideas out there?
5point0

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 PM

Last photo:

I'd be interested too... the rear bumper on my '79 Trans Am is looking a little shabby.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Are you married to the idea of using the originals? The reason I ask is because these early bumpers of this type are prone to warping and looking wavy as they age. '84-'90 C4s had the same problem. When they changed the front and rear appearances in '91, they also changed to 'glass bumpers. No more problem. There are fiberglass replacements available and they do not have this problem. However some brands fit better than others, so do your homework if you go that route. Good luck and as a fellow Vette owner, I'll look forward to seeing the finished product.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:07 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

my uncle went 'glass on his '73 Vette.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 PM

Last journal entry: 1930u more grill shell mods.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point0
I'm in the process of repainting my 1975 Corvette and I need advice about the proper/best way to prepare the rubber bumpers for primer and paint. The current bumper covers are showing well-oxidized silver paint and some bare rubber in several spots. They are both GM factory replacements and worth saving but I am reluctant to use solvents if there is the slightest chance that they might bleed through and ruin the new paint. Any ideas out there?
5point0
I never ever use original GM Corvette bumper covers, even if their good or new old stock. I have had many problems. They look great when your done but about a year later they start to become brittle and crack. I used the recommended paint for rubber/pastic. I'm not an expert but I think it has something to do with the chemical constituents in todays paint. Who knows??? After failures with original bumper covers I have started to use a bumper cover called enduraflex. They're a composite fiberglass type poduct that is just slightly flexiable. They fit great too. So far so good. Again I'm no expert but this is what worked for me.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM

Notorius,

Sorry, but factory bumpers on Vettes have never been fiberglass. 1973 thru the present included, although the aftermarket makes fiberglass ones for all years.

Dan

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.