Pres-N-Snap Dies - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2007, 05:07 PM

Last journal entry: The Chevy Bench Seat - Part 52
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pres-N-Snap Dies

Hey, Dan,

These are the dies I've found so far. I know there are more, but right now I couldn't tell you which box they're in. I'm still digging though...

The middle pic is just some buttons and grommits - I think they're grommits anyway.

Also, if you look at the Pres-N-Snap itself, there's a die in the upper portion.

EDIT: Okay, I just answered my own question. These dies don't go with a Pres-N-Snap. They go with a Handy #1 Button Making Machine, which I don't have. HEY ALAN! You need a set of size 22 dies for that button maker?

This means I can quit going crazy trying to figure out how to use those dies in a machine they aren't made for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dies 1.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	19097   Click image for larger version

Name:	button.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	19098   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0644.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	19099  

Advertisement

Last edited by Dusty82; 03-04-2007 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Momentary Lapse of Reason - no, not the album...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2007, 02:05 AM
Acoustic Rock ... for real.

Last journal entry: About Fusible Links
Last photo:

I was gonna say that first picture looks like the dies for my button maker. I have #22 and #30 dies ... I used the #30 for the buttons on the stool cover I made this weekend. Making buttons is FUN!!

PS - You can still make buttons with the die alone, Dusty. It doesn't take a whole lot of pressure to squeeze the top and bottom halves together.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Yup, you can make buttons by putting the half with the spring in a vise, and putting enough pressure on the top half to seat the button mold over the button bottom. You probably have the dies in the Pres-n-snap to do buttons with sockets. They just pull out, by the way.
Old 03-06-2007, 04:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
Yup, you can make buttons by putting the half with the spring in a vise, and putting enough pressure on the top half to seat the button mold over the button bottom. You probably have the dies in the Pres-n-snap to do buttons with sockets. They just pull out, by the way.
See, this is why I brought up the idea of you making a video or DVD. I don't even know how the dies work - lol. (Jon, we need a "Clueless" smiley...) The dies are for size 22 buttons, and so far all I've found are size 30 buttons. I'll pick some size 22 buttons up this weekend and experiment with it.

I haven't found the box that contains the dies for the pres-n-snap yet, and in fact, I might not have them at all. The dies I posted the pic of are the only ones I remember seeing. I'll keep hunting, though, because I keep finding stuff and I could be wrong.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:13 AM

Last photo:

It's pretty simple, Dusty ... the only part not shown below is there's a dowel you use to push the material and button cover into the top die with -- does this help? >>

Old 03-07-2007, 07:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty82
I haven't found the box that contains the dies for the pres-n-snap yet, and in fact, I might not have them at all. The dies I posted the pic of are the only ones I remember seeing. I'll keep hunting, though, because I keep finding stuff and I could be wrong.
You may not have any other dies, but if whoever bought the thing in the first place bought the kit, it comes with all the dies I took pictures of before. You can buy the tool alone and individual dies. If he only needed button dies that may be all there is. You could still do a boat cover with it.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by horvath
It's pretty simple, Dusty ... the only part not shown below is there's a dowel you use to push the material and button cover into the top die with -- does this help?
Helps bigtime Alan - thanks!

So I'm guessing you get the fabric and button top into the top die and the button bottom into the bottom die, put the two together, then gently smack it with a hammer, right? That sounds like it's right up my alley.

I have a couple of dowels of different diameters and had no clue what they were for. I'm thinking there are more dies buried someplace in this mess (did I mention we moved into this house in June and I'm just now getting to the Garage?) because I keep finding parts for size 30 buttons - not a 22 in sight. Yet, that is.

And thanks for the info, Dan. I'm slowly but surely getting a handle on this. I found die sets online, so if I don't have the ones I need at least I know I can get them.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:25 AM

Last photo:

Not a hammer ... a vise.

Notice how the top-die has a lid that moves up and down?

Hold the top-die in your left hand, upside down, and don't block the lid from being able to move ... place the material in, bottom-side up ... place the button-top over the material, bottom side up ... place the same size dowel into the button-top and press the button-top and material into the shaft of the top-die -- here's where the lid moves -- press all the way down until the lid bottoms out.

Then put the button-bottom in the bottom-die ... put the two dies together in a vise and gently close 'em up until the dies bottom out. Watch the spring -- you only need to bottom them out; a lot of pressure is *not* needed.

The lid on the top-die will remain raised a bit (like an eigth-inch) ... when you remove the top-die, the button will be stuck in it. Tap the lid down and the button will pop out.

Note: This is a lot more fun than making donuts!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Very good instructions, Alan. I wouldn't want to make a lot of buttons this way, but it will definitely work.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:43 AM

Last photo:

Agreed, Dan. The button machine is the way to go.

I just put a tutorial for it on my site:
Making Buttons
Old 03-09-2007, 06:25 PM

Last photo:

Well, squeezing something in a vise is almost as fun as smacking it with a hammer...

Thanks Alan! That's really going above and beyond the call! Even I understood that tutorial.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:55 PM

This is a useful piece of info! I've been needing the same advice for my weekend project!

Old 03-14-2007, 09:43 AM

Last photo:

I wound up using the button machine sooner than I thought!

Check out my first two projects:

This one was done with moose:

This one was done with elk:
Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 PM

Last photo:

Looks great, Alan! How's that boot on the foot brake working for you? That moose leather looks pretty stiff. Has it tried to pop the snaps when you press on the pedal yet? Does it try to jam up or bundle up under the pedal pad when you press on the pedal?

My panel has top swing type pedals, or it will when I get finished with it, so I'll not have that concern, but I'd be interested in your experiences with that boot.

All this talk about Moose and I haven't made a single Bullwinkle reference - well, until now. Just stay away from squirrel tails and you'll be fine.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:44 PM

Last photo:

Thanks, Dusty!

The Bullwinkle-leather on the foot brake is excellent. I guess looks are decieving -- the Bullwinkle and the Elk are both as soft as a baby's batootie! If you feel them, they feel really soft, almost like pigskin does!

Both the foot brake and hand brake boots are operating beautifully. The foot brake is about 7 inches from the floor and it bottoms out at around 3.5 inches, so the boot doesn't crunch up all that much - there's no resistance or jamming at all.

Also ... those aren't snaps!

They are eye buttons that are sewn in place ... and I gotta tell ya -- I'm so excited about that button maker. It's really fun to make your own buttons ... but also, those boots wouldn't have any real style or design element to them without those buttons!

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.