Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - pressing oil pickup tube
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Begin with OEM parts, not cheezy offshore crap. Make sure there is not a piece of the original tube broken off in the hole and rusted in place. Run a bronze rifle cleaning brush through the hole a few times to remove paint overspray, rust and scale. Remove any paint from the tube, bevel the edge of the tube with a fine-tooth file and store it in the freezer overnight. Next day, apply a very light coating of Vaseline to the tube and tap it in with the proper size box-end wrench and a small hammer. Sit down, open a cool one and admire your work.

And not to be a snot, but whaling is something Captain Ahab did when he was looking for Moby Dick. Beating on a part is called beating on a part, not to be confused with wailing, which is a high-pitched scream.
Ah yes sweet delicious common sense. I shall do this, thank you. Im not sure if my pickup tube speaks chinese or not but im pretty sure its not OEM being it is for a 7qt. oil pan. Maybe ill go compare it to an OEM one. if its the same depth i should be fine using OEM right?