pressing oil pickup tube - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

pressing oil pickup tube

Ive got the 5/8 wrench and im whaling on this sucker. Simply will not even begin to insert. Im pretty sure if i continue this pickup is history. Anything i should try? Give up and have a dude with the fancy tool do it?

-Kenny

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,026 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentactic View Post
Ive got the 5/8 wrench and im whaling on this sucker. Simply will not even begin to insert. Im pretty sure if i continue this pickup is history. Anything i should try? Give up and have a dude with the fancy tool do it? -Kenny
Begin with OEM parts, not cheezy offshore crap. Make sure there is not a piece of the original tube broken off in the hole and rusted in place. Run a bronze rifle cleaning brush through the hole a few times to remove paint overspray, rust and scale. Remove any paint from the tube, bevel the edge of the tube with a fine-tooth file and store it in the freezer overnight. Next day, apply a very light coating of Vaseline to the tube and tap it in with the proper size box-end wrench and a small hammer. Sit down, open a cool one and admire your work.

And not to be a snot, but whaling is something Captain Ahab did when he was looking for Moby Dick. Beating on a part is called beating on a part, not to be confused with wailing, which is a high-pitched scream.

Last edited by techinspector1; 12-06-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:54 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
Begin with OEM parts, not cheezy offshore crap. Make sure there is not a piece of the original tube broken off in the hole and rusted in place. Run a bronze rifle cleaning brush through the hole a few times to remove paint overspray, rust and scale. Remove any paint from the tube, bevel the edge of the tube with a fine-tooth file and store it in the freezer overnight. Next day, apply a very light coating of Vaseline to the tube and tap it in with the proper size box-end wrench and a small hammer. Sit down, open a cool one and admire your work.

And not to be a snot, but whaling is something Captain Ahab did when he was looking for Moby Dick. Beating on a part is called beating on a part, not to be confused with wailing, which is a high-pitched scream.
Ah yes sweet delicious common sense. I shall do this, thank you. Im not sure if my pickup tube speaks chinese or not but im pretty sure its not OEM being it is for a 7qt. oil pan. Maybe ill go compare it to an OEM one. if its the same depth i should be fine using OEM right?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:55 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Without buying the correct tool, this is a very graceful and redneck way, in fact its better that the correct tool because you don't hammer it in. Worked great on my SBC350 build. The article calls for some iron plumbing pipe, which I didn't have, so I cut open and splayed a piece of regular 1/2" conduit. And assuming this is an internal/submerged pump, you do not need to pack the gears full of grease, so ignore that part (it is a common misconception).

(ran spell check to pass tech inspection LOL)

Install A New Oil Pump - Part 11: Rebuilding An Engine To Fix A Rod Knock - GMC or Chevy 4.3 V6
Old 12-06-2012, 04:05 PM

kentactic
make sure you get tech to teach you how to glue that puppy in the correct position
Old 12-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Maybe ill go compare it to an OEM one. if its the same depth i should be fine using OEM right?
Doesn't make any difference. Never, ever, ever, ever trust ANY dipstick markings. Always check them yourself and if they are on the money, it is by the Grace of God and you should wash up and go buy a lottery ticket.

When you're ready to fire the motor, pour 7 quarts into it. Fire the motor and run it in for whatever period of time you will use. Shut the motor down, pull the dipstick, wipe it clean, plunge it back in and pull it out. Where the oil level is on the dipstick is where you will want to make a mark across the stick with the edge of a file. Clean the stick. Drain two quarts of oil out of the pan and make another mark on the stick. Clean the stick. Now, you have a full and a 2-qts low mark on your stick and life is good. Put the two quarts back in the motor. Sit down, open a cool one and admire your work.

Last edited by techinspector1; 12-06-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:15 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Doesn't make any difference. Never, ever, ever, ever trust ANY dipstick tube markings. Always check them yourself and if they are on the money, it is by the Grace of God and you should wash up and go buy a lottery ticket.

When you're ready to fire the motor, pour 7 quarts into it. Fire the motor and run it in for whatever period of time you will use. Shut the motor down, pull the dipstick, wipe it clean, plunge it back in and pull it out. Where the oil level is on the dipstick is where you will want to make a mark across the stick with the edge of a file. Clean the stick. Drain two quarts of oil out of the pan and make another mark on the stick. Clean the stick. Now, you have a full and a 2-qts low mark on your stick and life is good.

No no. im refering to the pickup tube depth. Im sure theres a proper depth in pan measurement right? I think this pickup is a different length to work with this specific oil pan. I will however do this to confirm or remark my dipstick aswell.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
kentactic
make sure you get tech to teach you how to glue that puppy in the correct position
The pickup im dealing with has a mounting bracket with it. The angle has been decided for me. I will use a ball of clay or something to make sure its good though.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
kentactic
Come on Vinnie, loosen up and spill it. I certainly don't know all the answers.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

i will say one thing this pickup is junk. Its rusted on the inside. Id really rather find another one that dosent have rust waiting to fall off and destroy my motor.

Whats the target gap from oil pan measurement im looking for? I think im going to make a parts run to see if OEM will work.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
No no. im refering to the pickup tube depth. Im sure theres a proper depth in pan measurement right? I think this pickup is a different length to work with this specific oil pan. I will however do this to confirm or remark my dipstick aswell.
I always installed the tube and stuck the dipstick into it before I put the pan on. Then I'd rotate the assembly to make sure that a crank counterweight or rod cap wouldn't contact either the tube or stick and make noise.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
i will say one thing this pickup is junk. Its rusted on the inside. Id really rather find another one that dosent have rust waiting to fall off and destroy my motor.

Whats the target gap from oil pan measurement im looking for? I think im going to make a parts run to see if OEM will work.
Bad juju Bwana. Rust not allowed. Use modeling clay and mock up the pickup clearance from the bottom of the pan. Shoot for 3/8". Any closer than that could allow the pump to pull the bottom of the pan sheetmetal up against the pickup and shut off the supply to the pump. Don't trust the pickup to just be a tight fit into the pump. Weld it. Once you have the pickup oriented in the proper position, take the pickup and pump to a certified welder and have him weld it for you. Wrap the pump and pickup in wet rags and make sure no welding slag gets into the assembly.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Bad juju Bwana. Rust not allowed. Use modeling clay and mock up the pickup clearance from the bottom of the pan. Shoot for 3/8".
Say no more, This pickups history. If an oem pickups the same depth as this one ill go with it and test with clay before final assembly. If not i guess ill have to order one.
Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 PM

Last photo:

What make model and year pickup tube should i try?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Quote:
What make model and year pickup tube should i try?
What's the block out of? Give us the alpha-numeric code off the passenger side block deck at the very front of the block. Whose pan are you using? What part number? We don't know at this point if the pan is wider with the same depth or deeper with the same width or what. If it's just wider with the same depth, you can use the OEM pieces. If it's deeper, then you'll have to use an extended pickup.

Last edited by techinspector1; 12-06-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.