pressure differential switch - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2007, 11:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

pressure differential switch

i have a 1970 nova ss with power brakes disc/drum and recently replaced the master cylinder (bench bled ) and bleed all the brakes and can not get rid of the idiot brake light? i pulled the pressure diff. switch and noticed a brass rod inside and did not notice anythig else in there, is this correct?? before removing the switch, i would put my foot on the brake pedal and the rears would lock up and would not get any in the front. this prompted my removal of the switch to see about resetting.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 05:29 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

Sounds like you are going to have to take the thing completely apart and clean out all the gunk in it in order to get the pressure differential slider to move freely.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

it needs replaced. GM's are self centering, if it was a Ford, you unscrew the contact, and move the inside plunger over with a pin. if it's a GM and it's not self centering, it needs replaced.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:39 AM

Last photo:

Is there a little pin sticking out of the front of the valve? Or a rubber thing with the pin hidden underneath it? Rig up a way to hold that pin inwards while you bleed the system again. That should fix it. If not, the valve may be bad. I've heard they're hard to find. If you're absolutely sure the brakes are working properly, bulb deletion may be a viable option.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

Loosen one of the bleeder screws, front or back and gently press the break pedal. If the switch is displaced to the front breaks meaning that front breaks were faulty, loosen the rear bleeder screw after the front breaks are all full of fluid and repaired if leaking and that should put that switch right back where it belongs when you push the break pedal. Sometimes you have to be a little more persuasive with that pedal but you get the idea. If that doesn't work try loosening the fitting right at the switch. It There must be no leaks on your system any where else. This has not ever failed me yet.

After you get the light to go out bleed the side that you opened and your all set.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.