Hot Rod Forum banner

Pressure Washer Suggestions

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  brian0605 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am interested in getting a pressure washer and would like some recommendations. I only have about $200.00, what do you suggest? What PSI do I look for, etc. Any recommendations you have are appreciated.

Thanks
Dave

#2 ·
Keep a look out at Home Depot. About this time of year they have a lot of "used" washers for sale. They have a policy of refunding on products that you don't like or don't work for you. There are a lot of people that buy one, use to get the job done and take it back the same or next day.

I have one that is 2750 PSI that works great. It's made by Honda.

#3 ·
daveh said:
Hey guys,

I am interested in getting a pressure washer and would like some recommendations. I only have about $200.00, what do you suggest? What PSI do I look for, etc. Any recommendations you have are appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Depends on what you ultimately want to use it for...the cheap Lowes, Home Depot types do a reasonable job - but don't really have enough pressure to do a big job...

I would look locally for a used pressure washer. For example I bought a commercial grade pressure washer from Craigslist (local to me)... Northstar 4000psi, 18hp Honda Vangaurd Engine, Gear driven pump, electric start...400.00 (2600.00 New!) - It's beat up looking but runs strong and starts everytime!

I would imagine you could find a nice used one on CL with 2500-3500psi in your budget range - or if you want the lower pressure electric type - they would be even cheaper!

#4 ·
If you would be willing to save your pennies a little while I would say go for the Honda RED engine. Don't get the Honda with the black pull housing,it is a cheap version, It actually has a plastic cam gear.yikes. If you absolutlely must have one right now Sears makes one and it usually goes on sale this time of year and they also do the resale of returned items. I would also like to stress the importance of pressure washer care: change the engine oil at least twice a year, buy the pressure washer pump seal conditioner, and since I see you live in maryland make sure you completely drain the pump and hose before winter sets in and either add Stabil to the gas or run it dry, I perfer the stabil method if it isn't being stored in a garage attached to the house. If you do that you will have a happy healthy pressure washer that will last a very long time. :thumbup: Brian

#5 ·
I would recommend you look at GPM as much as Pressure-Pressure will help to knock off the Grime, but won't give you a lot of Flow. They say that a normal, Quarter Car Wash (by they way, what happened to all of the 25 cent Car Washes?) put out about 14-1500 p.s.i., but at about 4.0-5.0 GPM-just a thought-

#6 ·
Big thing on pressure washers is the tip that you use..there is a tip that has the fine needle spray and it rotates to make a cone..works well and helps those little 2500 washers a bunch..we used them to clean graffiti and I have used them to do the intial clean on used parts..gets all the grime off..of course one needs to seal things so they do not get full of water..Might not be a big deal if one is stripping a block to send out to the machine shop..

Sam

#7 ·
all very valid points!!!!I forgot the GPM can make a big diff. I also forgot to mention using simple green for your degreaser. It works pretty good smells good won't burn the crap out of your skin and is enviro friendly too. It can also be mixed at different ratios to clean different things. We used to use it to wash a fleet of trucks,diluted I think 50.1, it did a good job cutting mud and road grime. Pretreat straight for heavy degreasing! :D Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.