Pressure Washers. Homedepot, Harbor Frieght - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 12:49 PM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Pressure Washers. Homedepot, Harbor Frieght

I have been wanting to purchase a pressure washer for some time now. I want to easily clean the rims on my car. Also, I would like to be able to turn the low pressure switch on to clean the undercarriage fo the car and areas where high pressure water won't cause a problem.

What are you using? I was reading reviews on Home depots website and everyone seems to be disappointed. I didn't want to go out and spend hundreds of dollars just for a pressure washer that I would use every once in a while. Have you had any luck with the harbor frieght stuff?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Last photo:

A number of years ago I was searching for a pressure washer. I looked at all the home improvement stores and HF. I then was told by a friend to go to a local industrial supplier. I found out all the el cheapo pressure washers use pumps that you cannot get parts for, they are just throw away's. Also be wary of a pressure washer that does not have pressure feedback. This feature diverts the pressure from the pump when the wand triggers is not pulled. A washer that does not have this is very hard on the pump.

Vince
Old 07-04-2008, 08:02 PM

Last journal entry: Shop Remodel Progress

I'd try something like this...I've used this model before and it's not too bad - of course it's nothing like having a 4000 PSI behemoth, but is much better for the lighter uses you targeted

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2523_200332523
Old 07-04-2008, 10:53 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

When I was running the yard for a construction company, I was buying pressure washers from Northern Tool. Honda powered, with Cat brand pumps, very good units.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:40 AM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

Sam's Club (not a plug) has some Honda-powered models at about 3000 psi or more that I was looking at for around $300.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI2600
Sam's Club (not a plug) has some Honda-powered models at about 3000 psi or more that I was looking at for around $300.
You must look at more than the engine. Chances are if you have any trouble with it it's going to be the pump not the engine. FWIW, not all Honda engines are created equal. Honda does make a line that is little better than a Briggs.

Vince
Old 07-05-2008, 05:19 PM

Last photo:

My buddy has a pressure washer sitting in his garage which they have never used. Im gonna go over to his house sometime this week to try it out. Ill let you guys know the specs and how it worked out.

Ill keep looking,

Do they make a pressure washer that hooks up to a compressor and uses this air to pressurize the system?

I was not really looking at a gas powered pressure washer. I was thinking about the plug in types. Is this going to be a bad idea?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I have a Honda powered pressure washer with a Cat Pump that is more than adequate for general use for a hobbyist. The by pass system when the trigger is not pulled is a great feature for industrial/commercial use, but we probably could not justify the increased cost. Aluminum pump? Don't think I would go there. Cat Pumps for our use are made with Bronze bodies and stainless inserts. My washer sees moderate use on a variety of things other than grungy parts and my automobiles. Farm and garden equipment, construction equipment, floors, drive ways, decks and siding have been kept in great shape with a lot of help from the old wand. Having a good assortment of nozzles is key to controlling the blasting power of the washer. Mine is 2800 psi with a 6HP engine and I don't want any more because more pressure can be harmful if not properly managed.

Trees
Old 07-06-2008, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

I've got one of the Honda units from Home Depot (2600 psi w/2.5 gallons per minute flow). I paid about $425 for it in 2004. I bought it for occasional engine and component cleaning. Anyhow, after I got it I found LOTS of uses for it: cleaning the house exterior walls prior to painting; concrete patio; pool cool deck; you name it. Also, one shouldn't discount the fun factor. I can surgically blast off the tops of prickly pear cactus and, with proper aim and nozzle selection, blow a bullet sized hole right through an individual cactus pad! Hitting the pool with a solid blast results in a satisfying geyser blowing almost straight up! A quick shot at the dog dish sends it flying about 30 feet - really impressive visually accompanied by banging and clanging as the dish bounces between the fence and the side of the house. And maybe the best is the ground excavation when you hit the soil with a 0 degree nozzle - deep hole with dirt, mud and rocks flying and hitting everything in sight. I guess my neighbors aren't as enthusiastic as I about my pressure washer but I sure do like it.

Recommendation: Don't ever buy anything from Harbor Freight.
jor

Last edited by jor; 07-06-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 PM

I bought a cheap one at home depot. It was about the mid priced gas one. It trashed the aluminum pump the second day I used it. The factory tech line told me to take it back and get a new one. The Depot manager told me "No Way". I have borrowed Hondas with the iron pump. More durable, more powerful, more expensive but it works. Tim
Old 07-17-2008, 04:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I looked at a Harbor Freight preassure washer, had a Mitsubishi engine but there brand pump, and it was aluminum.. did say it had a discharge bypass.. I wouldn't buy anything expensive like that w/o a extended warranty from them
Old 07-17-2008, 04:55 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneup427
I bought a cheap one at home depot. It was about the mid priced gas one. It trashed the aluminum pump the second day I used it. The factory tech line told me to take it back and get a new one. The Depot manager told me "No Way". I have borrowed Hondas with the iron pump. More durable, more powerful, more expensive but it works. Tim
when the manager tells you that, and you know your in the right.. send the tech line an email.. forward there response, with a complaint to Home Depot, they will do whatever you ask after that.. anything to keep the big bosses to see what's going on
Old 07-18-2008, 06:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuneup427

I have to assume that it was before my old GE boss, 'Minimum' Bob Nardelli moved on with his '$210MM golden parachute' to Cerberus/Chrysler. Home Despot seems to be doing better in the customer service department nowadays
Old 07-18-2008, 07:39 PM

I appreciate the suggestion. I will definitly keep it in mind for next time. Although I shop at the blue box more now. ( and have been treated better).Tim
Old 07-19-2008, 07:34 PM

Last photo:

I was really looking for an electric pump. I didnt want to have tof ire up the gas engine just to clean some parts.

Are the electric pressure blasters all crap?

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.