pressurized brake system - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 10:47 AM

Last journal entry: Well she is finally done!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

pressurized brake system

Howdy, is there such a thing as a pressurized master cylinder? I have a clean firewall on a 61 Impala and want to mount the master cylinder reservoir below the power booster. Is that possible? Is there way of having the resevoir below the booster? Or does it always have to be gravity fed? Am I making sense??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:

I've seen remote resevoirs, but I honestly don't know if they can be below the cyl. Is your booster on the firewall? If so, what would be the aesthetic advantage of hiding the res? Just trying to picture this, or did you somehow mount the mc and booster under the floor?
Old 02-07-2009, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

The booster in under the dash as seen in the pic and the resevoir is on the firewall as seen in the pic, but because the hoses will likely go down thru the cowl, it opens holes for the possiblity of rain getting into the interior. So I was hoping on moving the resevoir some place else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4476.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	36151   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4479.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	36152  
Old 02-08-2009, 09:08 AM
youll see me sideways

Last photo:

you can put your master anywhere, with a small power booster you can even fit it under the floor.
but if you mount your master lower than your wheel cylinders/calipers,
you will need residual valves..
speedway.com has all the bracketry and equipment.
get a catalogue, even gives you tech tips.

on another note, i hear they have a hydraboost setup for these cars....
im not a fan of power brakes, mainly because its more work, and more clutter.

have fun.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:09 AM

Last photo:

My question has to do with the resevoir, not the booster. Can the resevoir be below the booster? The booster is already mounted under the dash and is not going to be moved.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

In my mind's eye, the reservoir WILL have to be mounted above the master cylinder regardless of the booster type because every master cylinder that I can think of is indeed gravity fed.

The reservoir should also be mounted in an easily accessible and visual area so that it can be monitored and topped off as part of the regular maintenance. "Out of sight, out of mind" would come into play ... wouldn't it?

That being said, the tubes from the reservoir could be routed below the cowl, as long as they came back up at or above the level of the master cylinder. Think of the siphon principle ... The reservoir just needs to be above the master cylinder, and as mentioned previously ... either the M/C needs to be above the caliper / wheel cylinder level, or a residual valve will be required.

Hydroboost brakes would be cool in this kind of situation as well, as fluid lines from the power steering pump might be easier to route down low than a vacuum line attachd to the intake manifold.

If you're planning to take the fluid (or vacuum) line really low on the body, you will have to keep them protected from abrasion and corrosion. If these tubes are rubber, plastic, or nylon, you'll also want to include UV protection.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

Good stuff 66GMC. Does anyone know of or heard of pressurized reservoir? Can an air tank be hooked up to the reservoir?
Old 02-09-2009, 02:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboard
Good stuff 66GMC. Does anyone know of or heard of pressurized reservoir? Can an air tank be hooked up to the reservoir?
You wouldn't want any type of air to come in contact with the brake fluid. I'm sure it could be done but, you'd have to use some type of pressurized bladder.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

Ahhh, good point. The bladder idea sounds workable. Thanks guys.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:12 PM

Last photo:

This entire discussion is giving me the willies (and no I don't mean the car). As Hotrodders we all try to do strange things with the idea of doing something unique but brakes is not a place to play around, both for your safety and the safety of everyone else on the road.

This just sounds like a bad idea to me. If you somehow pressurize the reservoir then you pressurize the brake system just as if you stepped on the brake pedal so you will have brake drag problem. With the reservoir lower than the MC you will always have the possibility of sucking air into the MC and losing your brakes. If I read your email correctly you want to mount it lower primarily because you are concerned about a potential water leak through the firewall. You can solve the water leak worries either by using a good grommet or using a bulkhead fitting to go through the firewall. Then you can mount the reservoir as it was designed and have a safe brake system.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.