Preval review/ making a CO2 paint gun propulsion unit? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior> Paint
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 03:58 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Preval review/ making a CO2 paint gun propulsion unit?

Last year, after replacing a capacitor on my compressor, it tipped over and busted the air cleaner, had my little compressor for day to day things so I never got around to fixing it. Now I needed to paint boat trailer parts with some Ace rust stop ( rebranded rustoleum ) that I had custom mixed to a color to match my boat, and without an air cleaner to run the compressor/ paint gun with, I got 4 Preval sprayers, used Naptha to reduce it and Finish 1 hardener from Napa to activate it as I always do with Rustoleum, and I must say they don't work too bad for what I was doing. It needed to be just a tad thinner than I would normally like it to be to spray without orange peel.

This got me thinking. Paintball guns run on a pretty large CO2 cartridge. Could that be rigged to run a touch up spray gun for no hassle spot repairs?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The biggest problems I could see with that is: having a relatively big Co2 tank hanging off the bottom of the gun would be uncomfortable and in the way at the least. The second being, with a charged tank, you would always be losing pressure, which would lead to continued gun adjustment to maintain a decent result. Just my thoughts on it, not saying it is impossible, but it doesn't seem very practical.

Kelly
Old 08-25-2013, 08:59 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the input. I had that thought of the tank loosing charge. Going to use my HF 40716 spray gun once the Preval's are used up.. The 40716 is almost a perfect rustoleum gun, and the compressor is fixed. 1/2" PVC pipe with a threaded adaptor and a peice of B&S air cleaner foam rubber banded around the inlet. Should do fine.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:17 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

PVC pipe not to be used in compressed air systems
Old 08-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo View Post

He did not use the PVC for pressure, he used it to repair a broken intake filter on his compressor.

And even though several people seem to be against PVC for air pressure, I have never seen the problem with it unless you are going to be running really high pressure. I keep my compressor set to cut off at 125 PSI, no need for anything higher than that in shop, air tools are usually rated to 90 PSI, don't need anything more for painting, or sand blasting. The PVC has been there since the owner of the building put it up in 1984. So far no problems, it may explode and kill me tomorrow, but so far so good. Plus I have never understood the issue any way, 3/4 schedule 40 has a max PSI of 480 at 140 degree F.

Kelly
Old 08-26-2013, 03:44 PM

Last photo:

Continuous flow of CO2 could easily freeze your gun or nozzles.

Just a thought..........
The Following User Says Thank You to Trucknut For This Useful Post:
LATECH (09-21-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 05:38 PM

Last photo:

That's the other thought I had. Preval's use mostly propane as the propellant just like most spray cans, to avoid that issue..

I use canned air ( pure CO2 discharge ) to clean out box and desk fans, and after only a few seconds of spraying, the can is really cold to the touch.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:36 PM

Last photo:

Interesting topic to me.

Nitrogen is what I would use. Clean-dry-cheap

I have used scuba tanks before for remote compressed air supply for an air chisel. Heavy as hell but worked great.

Sold my last 2 scuba tanks to a guy that was going to do the same thing to run an impact wrench off of at the local short track races. Just like the big boys without the big toy$.

Any compressed gas container will get cold as it experiences pressure drop. Faster the drop the colder it gets, Something to do with basic physics. ( why your air sander body gets cold when you run it non stop for a while)

Why would one hang a bottle on a detail gun? I would have assumed using a hose between the gun and tank and wear the tank on a belt?
Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fool View Post
Why would one hang a bottle on a detail gun? I would have assumed using a hose between the gun and tank and wear the tank on a belt?
That actually would work well. Better idea than hanging off the back of the gun..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.