Previously Soda Blasted Project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Previously Soda Blasted Project

I have a customer that wants his car finished... the story goes that he had it soda blasted, metal work & rust repair done, then what looks like epoxied to me... Supposedly the soda was neutralized after blasting... the epoxy is flaking off in areas that look like they did a poor job of preping & just dont have mechanical adhesion from not 80g the metal (ex.-right under the mirrors, around trim, nooks & cranies & edges essentially) Most of the flaking spots have very light surface rust under them which leads me to believe the soda is neutralized... however there is one particular spot in the door jamb, the biggest of the flaking spots being around 3" in diameter, that has no surface rust, making me think its not neutralized there, possibly everywhere??? Not real familiar with soda blasting other than no paint co. warranties over it... what do you think? if he doesn't want to strip the car he knows I wont guarantee anything... if I strip the car, do I have to worry about embedding the soda into the metal? or just strip, re-neutralize, and move forward?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 09:14 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

if you cant do a job right walk away from it. it already has adhesion problems . no matter what you spray over it the problems will continue. and guess who will wear the failure...
pass on it another job will fall into it's place.

to fix
blast the epoxy off , wash with dawn soap and water , blow dry ( i use a leaf blower ) then epoxy.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 AM

To the guy I was hoping would help... Agreed... plan to tell him its all or nothing... Re-soda blast off? or can I mechanically strip, then wash and proceed...
Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

soda is what got you in this mess to begin with. find a reputable blaster and have it cleaned up. you'll never get the cracks and stuff clean ed out otherwise.
rule of thumb... never put anything on your car you cant mix in the paint . exception being dawn soap and water.....
Old 11-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Rite on Shine! Thanx
Old 11-07-2011, 04:39 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

I did a 61 chev that had been done all most to what you have. It was soda blasted ,bodywork done, primed with d-p and allowed to set indoors for almost 20 years. I sanded it good with 120 grit removing about 90-95 percent of the old dp. Making sure to pay special attention to any peeling areas .Then re coated with spi epoxy, 2k primed ,sealed with epoxy and painted. So far it seems to be holding up fine.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.