Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Prices (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/prices-18299.html)

bjam2 06-22-2003 12:40 AM

Prices

I don't like other people doing work on my car, but some things such as body work are out of my reach since i've never done anything serious in the area (17 yrs old) and don't even have access to a welder.

So what would good, or average i should say prices be for different body works jobs such as replacing a quarter panel, or rocker panel or floor, etc etc etc.

Anything you can tell me, i would like to know. Thanks

jc55 06-22-2003 09:07 AM

Hey BJAM2,
I was at a body shop a couple of years ago and noticed an old Bronco in for replacing both quarters. I asked the owner how much he was charging (no paint work). He said $1000.00 for the pair.
I knew I couldn’t afford to pay for all the work I needed so since then I have $480 in a nice mig welder. I have replaced every panel on my ’55, the back end of a ’67 mustang, and have done countless projects for myself and friends. It’s definitely paid for itself many times over. Others may comment on body work costs, but for me the hobbyist, I wouldn’t touch a quarter replacement for less than $250 and that’s gotta be cheap. It just wouldn’t be worth my time unless I did it free for a friend. Even doing it myself there’s the $400-$600 for a quarter, paint supplies, sawzall blades, drill bits, grinding wheels, wire wheels, gas, wire, electricity, time,etc.
I like to fully prep, repair, and paint the area under a removed panel. This is something you probably won’t get from a shop if you’re on a budget. Probably wasn't the answer you were looking for, but just something to consider if you plan on doing alot of this in the future.

adtkart 06-22-2003 10:38 AM

Body and paint work prices are regional. It all depends on the labor rates in that area, and most of all the quality of the work. That is not to say that because someone has a high price, they do good work!. If the price is considerably lower than everyone else in the area, it is likely that they are cutting corners on the quality side. The prices are also dependant on the condition of the vehicle being repaired. A newer car with no rust or other damage will naturally be less than an older car with other work to be done and RUST. So basically, there is no average price for body work.

SirSpeedy 06-22-2003 11:48 AM

IT is great to see young people in the hot rod hobby. When I was your age, I had everything on full attack. If I needed to change a quarter paneal, I wanted to do it myself. Before I had tools, I simply found people who would let me use theirs.

Find a small one-man body shop and offer to block out a car for him to use his tools and expertise. It can be done, you just have to want it.

Good luck.

unstable 06-22-2003 05:39 PM

I totally agree with doing it yourself. I'm 24 and I have wanted to build a nice machine since I was a Freshman in high school. I'm finally getting around to it. Sure it requires specialized tools, but once you've purchased the tools, and have learned how to use them, you should be set for life.

It's almost the difference between renting a house or buying one. There's pros and cons to both sides. If you are planning on moving to another area sometime soon, maybe you should rent, but if you are planning on staying in the area for several years, maybe you should buy...buying the tools/learning the skills will give you the power to do other projects in the future.

adtkart 06-22-2003 06:45 PM

When I was about 14, I had an opportunity to learn from one of, if not the best bodymen I have ever known. We worked in his garage at night and weekends. It was a long time ago, as the minimum wage was $1.25/hr. My friends worked at different types of jobs making about $30.00/week and I was making about $100-$150/week. I started out just sanding and other little things while I watched and learned. That was about 34 years ago. The proceedures and cars have changed some over the years. The basic principals have not. That great friend died a year ago. What I learned from him will be with me for as long as I live, and it was much more than just doing bodywork and auto repair.

Although a good bodyman in a busy shop can make a good living, many still do work on the side. If you can find one that does, maybe you can work out a deal with them to help them while you learn the basics. Everyone gains by that deal.