pricing body work - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2011, 04:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

pricing body work

69 lemans body work how much would it cost at a body shop to do passenger side new rocker, new lower finder, make new tip of rear quater, also the trunk pan and paint the motor.

and on another how much to paint the car war wick blue which is a matillic color and clear to prices plz think you very much.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

$10 k and up. The cheaper way and the best thing to do is have everything but paint done somewhere else and leave it in primer with guide coat for them to prep. The hard part is finding the right tech to do the work on the side, but if you find the right guy you'll save a lot. You'd spend no less than $1000 and probably no more than $1500 for everything but paint. I'd charge around $1200. BUT, if you take it to the shop and have them do it you'd spend a lot more. Might want to wait by a good body shop til the techs leave for lunch and start poaching.

Also want to have the painter look at the bodywork and prime and ask for them to guarantee it even though they didn't prime it. Some shops don't guarantee their paint if someone else does the body, but in these times the negotiations are on your side.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

well im the one doing the work and i just dont know what to charge the guy i have to have a bid on the work next week and i was wanting to charge about half what it cost at a body shop unless its 10000 thin it will be about 2500
Old 10-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,075 Posts
Wow, you are willing to give yourself away!

Replacing the rocker and painting the motor too? I am saying in my neck of the woods you are talking a $25K and up restoration. Not simply doing the things you are saying but doing the things you aren't saying that I KNOW you will be doing having done many of these projects.

JUST a paint job on one of these cars with your typical body work here and there on every panel like most every one of these old cars will have would be $10K and up around here. If that rocker needs ot be replaced, I will say there is LOTS of work that you haven't even thought about.

Without any exaggeration what so ever you are talking and thinking about MAYBE 10-20% of the work that will be needed on this car. Maybe even below the 10! There is HUNDREDS, MANY HUNDREDS of hours to complete that car.

Brian
Old 10-20-2011, 05:06 PM

Last photo:

ya but we are talking body shop with tons of hours im no body shop but i do know what im doing

your saying 2500 for just body work and painting the motor is to little

lets say 1500 is to little for painting the car after all the body work

think body shop prices thin home shop prices
Old 10-20-2011, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

What is your time worth? You are talking less than $10 an hour, is that all you are worth? Heck, you could go down and work at the near by fast food joint and make that much, and it would be a lot easier on your body.

Brian
Old 10-21-2011, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

well where i live a body shop guy gets paid 200 a week and a fast food guy gets 7.25 hour and im just trying to get my name out for good work to get more work so as of now i think 2000 for the body repair i listed and 1000 for painting the car
Old 10-21-2011, 01:28 PM

Last photo:

You are in a different world than I am! This doesn't change the fact that you will have 3-5 hundred hours, figure out what those hours are worth to you.

Brian
Old 10-21-2011, 02:33 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Your just charging for labor only, the customer is buying parts and material?

A good guess-timate for the work only would be 60 - 80 hours @ $22. per hr.,
which would equate to between 1300 and $1800. That would give you a week and a half to two weeks to complete the work in your home garage, and pay your taxes, health benefits, insurance, compensation, heat, lights, water, clothing, shop supplies, consulting fees, etc. PLUS, hold back fees, in case the work was to be re-done because of poor workmanship.

Your were going to pay taxes on the money you made, weren't you? And you were going to guarantee the end product, weren't you?

BRIAN,

three to five hundred hours, what are you thinking, this is just suppose to be a cheap job, helping a buddy out type of job, like were talking over-the-weekend.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

60 to 80 hours? HUH? I have kept time on projects like that, recorded every minute, there are HUNDREDS of hours in a job like that.

He is talking about putting in a trunk floor and new rocker, bottom of the fender, "tip of rear quater?" (what ever that means) I have done it, done MANY of these projects and 200 hours is your typical cosmetic restoration. This is in a shop with all the tools. MANY hundreds of hours are needed in what I have experienced. You are a hell of a lot faster at doing this stuff than me!

Brian
Old 10-21-2011, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

ya i will guarantee the end product 30 days only becouse its a old car and going to IL befor winter hits and yes their will be more thin 80 hours i hope not more thin 200 hours and its not for a friend just i guy i ran into looking for the work done and he is paying for everything im just labor.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:17 PM

Last photo:

gotta agree with Brian. You would need meth. and lots of it. or,... use all duplicolor products... that's what the pro's use.

Where do you live by the way?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Last photo:

never use drugs im in the SES and i use ppg paints
Old 10-22-2011, 12:14 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

Take what you think for time and times that by what you want to make per hr, add for supplies. I've got a 71 road runner in my shop right now. MN 40 yr old car all original paint but one fender. Stripped paint, Welded patches on front and rear of both 1/4s,front edge of one door bottom,Bottoms of both fenders behind wheels, Half a dozen smaller dents,And filled some small holes from removed molding. I've got just over 40 hrs in it and it's got a coat of epoxy and two coats of primer blocked out. But I've been doing this since god was a kid.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:42 PM

Last photo:

what did you charge a hour im not trying to get rich i dont have a job its all cars for me i only work on cars so i can build my car and i realy want to build my car if he takes the bid the 1500 will help alot

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.