prime with old gun - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2013, 09:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

prime with old gun

Hi
I want to use a Binks spray gun model 18 Please don't tell me to hang it up or not to use this gun. thanks
I am having trouble setting gun . not sure what each knob is to do
primer came out dry . so would like to learn how to adjust gun. I am using Dupli color primer, with Lacquer Thinner, the can say to mix 1 to 1. The can say to set pressure 30 to 40 I tried 40 . It came out real dry , than set pressure at about 35lbs, than I played with gun adjustment, a little better but still not the way I think it should be. I would like it wetter so I can put more coats on. I feel I need to learn to adjust gun now.
Thank you abrenn

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 AM

WOW 76 people read my post for help on how to adj the gun and no one knows how to do it, please some one help I have a lot of bear metal I want to get primed. thanks to some one
Old 07-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Last photo:

try this?
Old 07-16-2013, 10:28 AM

Last journal entry: Paint
Last photo:

How do you know it's the gun adjustment and not something else? How clean is the gun and what has gone through it before? How do you know it's not the primer you are using? Lacquer hmm.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrenn View Post
Hi
I want to use a Binks spray gun model 18 Please don't tell me to hang it up or not to use this gun. thanks
I am having trouble setting gun . not sure what each knob is to do
primer came out dry . so would like to learn how to adjust gun. I am using Dupli color primer, with Lacquer Thinner, the can say to mix 1 to 1. The can say to set pressure 30 to 40 I tried 40 . It came out real dry , than set pressure at about 35lbs, than I played with gun adjustment, a little better but still not the way I think it should be. I would like it wetter so I can put more coats on. I feel I need to learn to adjust gun now.
Thank you abrenn
The Binks 18 is the godfather of modern spray guns and is often copied by other manufacturers so there's a lot of similar guns out there. However compared to modern HVLP guns, the 18 looses a lot of paint to overspray.

This link should help with setting it up, basically you need more paint for the air your using, or less air but the paint may need to be thinned more for that, this is all quite a dance to work out the pattern and feed. <<< Basic Setup & Using the Controls - Spray Gun Basics - Mini Truckin' Magazine >>>

The top control is the the pattern shape, the second is fluid flow. It's a good idea to add a regulator and air supply fine adjustment valve to the air inlet.

The Binks 18 and it's many clones take a whomper/stomper compressor that can deliver a lot of CFM at fairly high pressure, the average 5 horse, single stage, 20 gallon tank home compressor isn't up to this task.

Bogie

Last edited by oldbogie; 07-16-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:26 PM

I just want to thank u guys I went to you tube and watch some clips on cleaning gun. I took gun all a part , I never went that far be for, it was not bad no holes blocked, I always run thinner to clean when done. learn a lot . last night I adj gun and tried water on card board, that dryed to fast to see how pattern was. to day I mix up primer and tried that on card board that was so so . than tried on some tin. I am doing much better now. it is a little rough kind of like orange peal. it is hot here in N. W. Pa. I tried it in my basement it was about 70 with 63 humidity . It was some wet , I can probably live this. I would like to get it weter if I can . I had about 28 lbs with my binks 18 and got my fan to about 5 to 6 in.
I want to go down to night when it cools off and play some more .
should I try more pressure or just play with gun adj?? thanks again abrenn
Old 07-18-2013, 02:50 PM

Last photo:

Take careful notes of all the gun adjustments, environmental factors, viscosity of the paint, type of paint, reducers, and thinners, and anything else you can think of, and then note the results.

In my opinion, the biggest factor in how a paint lays down is how the gun is used. If you have the fluid control on the gun open a lot, for example, you can move the gun fast, and get a wet spray pattern. Conversely, with the fluid control closed down, you need to move the gun slowly.

I have seen posts on hotrodders.com asking about how to adjust a gun, when the problem was runs in one part of the panel, and heavy orange peel in another part of the panel. That is not an gun adjustment problem. That is caused by inconsistent speed of movement, and overlap.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.