Which primer? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 10:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Which primer?

I'll be painting my '72 GMC pickup with Dupont Centari acrylic enamel with gloss hardener. Before anyone shoots the Centari SS idea down, it's all I can afford at the moment with 1 gal of the original solid dark green and 1 qt. white colors already purchased. The body has been stripped down to bare metal and covered in rattle can primer to keep it from rusting. I will be removing the rattle can stuff and I'm wondering what primer(s) I will need to buy... ie. self etching, sealer, high build, sanding, epoxy, urethane This will be my first all over paint job. Any help is appreciated. Thanks fellas...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 11:02 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

you will want ither a 2k epoxy primer or an etching primer. the place you bought the paint from should be able to get ither of them if it is not in stock.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:35 PM
KING OF BONDO

Last journal entry: My little helper
Last photo:

Use epoxy only.. leave acid etch where it belongs.. in the past.. then you can 2k over that and topcoat it after it is final sanded
Old 09-04-2006, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the responses fellas, so, wipe down with precleaner, tack rag, epoxy prime the bare metal, let the epoxy cure, scuff sand with XXX? grit paper, wipe again and tack, shoot urethane primer over that, guide coat and block with XXX? grit, wipe again and tack then topcoat with the enamel? Does this sound right. Would you guys recommended using a tack rag to get the dust off?
Old 09-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Last photo:

Your right, get rid of the rattle can peimer. Then use some SPI self etching epoxy primer followed by some SPI 2K primer surfacer. Both of those are about as cheap as you can get and still use quality products.

Vince
Old 09-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,124 Times in 998 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaWrench
Thanks for the responses fellas, so, wipe down with precleaner, tack rag, epoxy prime the bare metal, let the epoxy cure, scuff sand with XXX? grit paper, wipe again and tack, shoot urethane primer over that, guide coat and block with XXX? grit, wipe again and tack then topcoat with the enamel? Does this sound right. Would you guys recommended using a tack rag to get the dust off?
Read your epoxy tech sheets. If you apply the urethane primer within the recommened "window" you don't need to sand it at all. Most will have a number of days after the epoxy to top coat it.

Blocking the urethane could be done with 180, then guide coat and sand with 400 prior to paint. OR, if you cut thru it a lot while blocking just apply another couple of coats of the urethane.

Brian
Old 09-04-2006, 08:26 PM

You guys are awesome! Thanks very much for the fast replies and good advice. Not sure if I will have time for the epoxy and urethane in one short weekend Brian. I have read all of your "BASICS" articles a while back and would like to print and laminate them as a reference. You should author a book or do a video. Vince, what is this "SPI"? Is it Southern Polyurethanes? I've read about them on this forum.
A little background for those interested:
I bought the truck in '95 and used it as a daily driver to and from work, and she was mechanically, very sound so I took her on a cross country trip to Death Valley, Ca. via Las Vegas (bro. lives there) and finally in 2000, the floor and other usual places were rusted through so it was time to either get rid of it or fix 'er up...Well she now has a fresh 383 SBC and rebuilt TH350 and many new suspension and driveline parts just awaiting the bodywork...
My GMC project has gone through more changes due to lifes little turns. I bought the Centari when times were tough and then, when things were on the upswing (financially) the plan changed to bc/cc in a cool metallic color custom wheels etc. and now were on the downswing again so I'm back to building the "poor-boy" pickup truck again. Someday she'll be back on the road again!
Old 09-05-2006, 05:55 AM
Last photo:

SPI is Southern Polyurethane, a great company with great products backed by a super helpful owner.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.