Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Primer before powder coating?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 09:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

No haven't used it myself, I just became aware of it within the past couple of weeks. However, the description sure sounds like it is miracle bondo and it was developed in the first place for the powder coater industry so I am pretty sure they will cure it for you during their treatment. The product specs say it cures @ 475F for 1hr which is right where the PC treatment is done.

Just talked to my powder coater and asked him about Lab Metal. he said they have used it and it works great. They even used it to build up door sills that were not going to be powder coated on a hot rod project where welding or regular bondo was impractical.

Tips he gave were -

- Do your sanding and finishing soon after it sets up because when it has cured very long it is as hard as steel!

- Apply it in thin layers and let it dry well between. If applied too thick and not allowed to evaporate the solvents, when powder coated there will be a rim of pinholes in the final finish around the feathered area where the trapped solvents out-gas.

He also mentioned that you can use slow cure JB Weld under powder coating, but it is pretty runny and hard to work compared to Lab Metal.