Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Primer coating on new body panels (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/primer-coating-new-body-panels-197309.html)

desertdave 04-26-2011 09:05 PM

Primer coating on new body panels
 
I purchased some new body panels for my mustang and was curious about the black primer they applied to the panels. Should I strip this all off so I can apply my self-etching primer, or should I apply the self-etching primer right over the black primer. Or do I skip the self-etching primer all together on these new panels.

Clay's70 04-27-2011 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdave
I purchased some new body panels for my mustang and was curious about the black primer they applied to the panels. Should I strip this all off so I can apply my self-etching primer, or should I apply the self-etching primer right over the black primer. Or do I skip the self-etching primer all together on these new panels.

I want to know the same thing!!

freethinker52 04-27-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdave
I purchased some new body panels for my mustang and was curious about the black primer they applied to the panels. Should I strip this all off so I can apply my self-etching primer, or should I apply the self-etching primer right over the black primer. Or do I skip the self-etching primer all together on these new panels.

etchimg primer should only be used on bare metal if at all. i would use epoxy instead. if the black coating will pass these tests i leave it on. laqure will not remove it and if it will feather nicely. if not strip it off. the instructions from the panel manufacturer that i use is to rough it and prime over it.

desertdave 04-27-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freethinker52
etchimg primer should only be used on bare metal if at all. i would use epoxy instead. if the black coating will pass these tests i leave it on. laqure will not remove it and if it will feather nicely. if not strip it off. the instructions from the panel manufacturer that i use is to rough it and prime over it.

Well my plan of attack was to use the DuPont VariPrime self etching primer as my first coat, then to use the Nason 2K Urethane high build primer, and finally a one of the DuPont 2k sealers. Not sure which one yet, but thats my process I will be using.
I will try the lacquer thinner trick to see if these panels are E-coated or not. I'm getting my panels from CJ Pony Parts out of NJ. Thanks for the advice. :D

freethinker52 04-27-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdave
Well my plan of attack was to use the DuPont VariPrime self etching primer as my first coat, then to use the Nason 2K Urethane high build primer, and finally a one of the DuPont 2k sealers. Not sure which one yet, but thats my process I will be using.
I will try the lacquer thinner trick to see if these panels are E-coated or not. I'm getting my panels from CJ Pony Parts out of NJ. Thanks for the advice. :D

i would use this instead:
NASON® FUL-POXY® 491-16™ EPOXY PRIMER
then this:
NASON® SELECTPRIME™ 421-19TM (GRAY)
2K URETHANE PRIMER

desertdave 04-27-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freethinker52
i would use this instead:
NASON® FUL-POXY® 491-16™ EPOXY PRIMER
then this:
NASON® SELECTPRIME™ 421-19TM (GRAY)
2K URETHANE PRIMER

I guess the self etching is old school now hun?

Lizer 04-27-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by desertdave
Well my plan of attack was to use the DuPont VariPrime self etching primer as my first coat, then to use the Nason 2K Urethane high build primer, and finally a one of the DuPont 2k sealers. Not sure which one yet, but thats my process I will be using.
I will try the lacquer thinner trick to see if these panels are E-coated or not. I'm getting my panels from CJ Pony Parts out of NJ. Thanks for the advice. :D

almost all reproduction panels are e-coated now unless they come bare (some floor pans) or are pot metal. The panels from CJ will be e-coat. Some people on here don't like the e-coat and take it off. The reality of it is the e-coat is probably stuck on there better than anything you could apply yourself since the panel is dipped and the coating is actually stuck to the metal with electrical attraction. You can read all about the process here if you wish:

http://www.clearclad.com/clearclad_resources/ecoat.htm

I was taught to scuff the surface with a red scotch brite (until the panel is completely dull and has no gloss remaining) and then prime over this. Definitely go epoxy over etching primer. Etching primer's only use is for bare metal anyways, and if you have no bare metal then you are getting no function out of it. Epoxy has superb bonding to bare metal and superior corrosion protection.

If you haven't purchased your paint yet, I'll throw you a tip and highly, highly, highly suggest you looking into SPI's Epoxy (and their 2k primer too). I'm going to guess it costs as much as the Nason does (I don't know what the Nason runs), but not only is it far better than Nason, it's arguably one of the best epoxies on the market, period. And the seven day tech service you get with Barry, the owner, (even after business hours) is a God sent. I'm not trying to advertise for them, but when I find a good product with good service I'm for sure going to tell other people about it.

desertdave 04-28-2011 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizer
Definitely go epoxy over etching primer. Etching primer's only use is for bare metal anyways, and if you have no bare metal then you are getting no function out of it. Epoxy has superb bonding to bare metal and superior corrosion protection.

I have quite a few replacement panels, but the rest of the car will be bare metal. Thats why I was going to use the self-etching primer. After Freethinker52 told me about the epoxy, I went on the hunt for info via Google and found that the epoxy was the new way to cover bare metal and self etching was old school.
I've read a lot about Barry and his SPI products and everyone seams to like them. I will have to log onto his website and check it out.
Thanks :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.