Primer Confusion. What would you do? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2004, 06:48 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Primer Confusion. What would you do?

I had my hood and deck lid redi striped to bare metal, I sanded with 80 grit, cleaned with PPG DX330, and then shot them with DP50LF.

I still have the rest of the body, front fenders, etc. yet to go. I had planned to do the same with them when I started seeing the recent posts about DPLF not sticking well to bare metal. I don't do auto painting for a living but do work in the finishing industry and do associate with PPG products. Mostly powder and e-coat. PPG has always had a reputation of being one of the best. Based on what I'm reading, they still do once you get past bare metal. (Just the DPLF's what sucks.)

I'm also reading Dupont's vari-prime is a great replacement for DPLF. Would you use DPLF on the rest of the car, switch to Vari-prime on the rest of the car but leave the DPLF on the hood and deck lid, or take the hood and deck lid back to bare metal and put vari-prime on those as well?

I want to go with K36 over the epoxy regardless what I do above. This is not a show car, but it is a frame off resto that I want done right so it will last.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2004, 07:01 PM
suck, squeeze, bang, blow

Last journal entry: finally reeled it in
Last photo:

If you're in with the PPG guys talk to them and see if they'll guarantee it. Personally, I wouldn't use DPLF. I like just about everything else by PPG though.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

I worked with a big PPG jobber today, he said this is a mess as there are about 3,4,5 tech sheets floating around and some are old. He also said the word has been slow to get out from PPG.
Best bet at this point would be to get the batch number off the can and see if your jobber is willing to try and find out if you should sand off or just continue.
If the jobber does not want to take the time, get the tech line number and call them and see if they will give answer.
He did tell me there has been problems on and off for the last year but you may have a batch thats two years old and that may be a good thing.
It would be a lot easier to get off now than when done and put together for sure.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:28 PM

Am a PPG user and NEVER have liked DPLF. The old dp was good stuff but the newer DPLF epoxy is junk in my opinion.

May 2004 I took my PPG Master certification classes, not ONE PPG rep suggested epoxy on bare metal, and if you do spray epoxy they wanted a coat of DX1791 on the metal first.

Ive had nothing but problems with DPLF on bare metal, but when used with etch primer then I have good results.
I dont have the newest tech sheets for DPLF but the new ones say something in the lines of :
To achieve max performance bare metal should be treated with DX1791 before topcoating with DPLF

To me variprime is far superior to DPLF.
If you havent bought it yet k36 sucks as well, go with K38 or even NCP271. K36 has a problem with shrinkage down the road...Eric
Old 08-20-2004, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

Hey GMW,
This is a two way street, what did you find out?
I think a lot of people would like to know.
Barry

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.