Primer/ Gun? Help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 09:01 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Primer/ Gun? Help

Ok I hope I'm in the right place for this question Okay so I've spent the last 2 weeks sanding my 71 F250 for primer. I've taking my time and its ready for primer.. I totally freaking out because I want this to come out looking decent. Heres my concern, the paint the guy sold me at the shop is FeatherFill G2 I hear this stuff is very touchy and you have to be quick due to the pot life.. Since Im not doing paint right now I went for a cheap Harbor Freight gun 47016 for primer, the tip is a 1.4 and I'm worried this high build poly primer is going to be too think? Acetone is the thinner to be used but I'm worried this stuff is going still going to be too think.. I need advice!! I'm totally new to the painting world and I'm on a budget.. Any advice would be awesome

Any advice on settle up the gun would be great to..etc?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 PM

Primer

I would not attempt to do the whole vehicle if this was my first time spraying with this stuff. I would start with a fender or a door just to give me an idea of how that primer and gun will work and start with a small batch. It's too bad that gun doesn't have a smaller cup like a 3 or 4 ounce. I am fixing to do the same thing but I will be using SPI epoxy primer. It is THE stuff to use on this site. Read up on it. While you're cleaning your gun with thinner put some in the cup and spray to check the pattern and play with the fan and paint adjustment knobs. Make sure you're in a well ventilated area and away from any ignition source. It is a decent gun for the price. Good luck.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

In most guns you need a 2.2 fluid tip for spraying polyester primer, don't try to use that 1.4. I would return it and get some 2k urethane primer/surfacer, most guns use 1.6 -1.8 tip for it, but I don't think HF has different tips available for their spray guns, check into the Devilbis Finishline spray gun it comes with all the tips you would need.
http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...qx/product.htm

Great company to deal with for primers/clears..http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/homepage.htm
Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

Or, you can try these fellows: http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/devmstrkit.aspx

They have all the accessories and parts for everything that they sell. The prices are very reasonable and service is excellent. Read their forum for paint tips.

No, I don't work there!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:17 PM

Happy!!

Well i just finished spraying my first coat...Surprisingly it wasn't as thick as i expected I thinned 5% with acetone which was just about perfect and the 1.4 tip worked out yay lol I appreciate all the advice (very helpful) !! Maybe I'll even try & paint it myself down the road haha
Old 10-16-2010, 07:27 PM

Primer thickness

As you get better, you'll find out that you actually want a thick coat so that you can sand that coat to perfection before you apply your basecoat of paint. The reason is that you can sand without hitting bare metal.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

When you get to the bottom of the gallon, you will probably find your feather-fil sitting there. The reason being, you must mix the can from bottom to top before you start and as well as when you are painting. The talc from the feather-fil will settle out if left to sit and also, the talc will not TOTALLY squeeze itself through a 1.4 nozzle. That is why people here are telling you to use a 1.8 or better nozzle to spray fill primer. You want to lay the fill primer down on your panels like 'elephant snot', in other words, as thick as your gun can spray. Your 1.4 nozzle put it on your panels like Tinkerbell does with fairy dust.

Get our point now!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:08 PM

Wow some people get down right rude..
Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1
When you get to the bottom of the gallon, you will probably find your feather-fil sitting there. The reason being, you must mix the can from bottom to top before you start and as well as when you are painting. The talc from the feather-fil will settle out if left to sit and also, the talc will not TOTALLY squeeze itself through a 1.4 nozzle. That is why people here are telling you to use a 1.8 or better nozzle to spray fill primer. You want to lay the fill primer down on your panels like 'elephant snot', in other words, as thick as your gun can spray. Your 1.4 nozzle put it on your panels like Tinkerbell does with fairy dust.

Get our point now!
Uhm, that was blunt but it got the point across clearer than I could possibly have done it. Nice job!
Do not read any sarcasm in this, it is meant as a positive statement.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford-chick
Wow some people get down right rude..
well you did ask for advice! and then ignored it all lol.
hope you enjoy your project
Old 10-21-2010, 07:27 PM

Thats true however advice is just that.. You can have 3 people tell you 10 different ways to do something.. I talk to the people at the shop and took their advice..thinned 5% and hey it worked & oh ya there wasnt ANY G2 AT THE BOTTOM OF THE CAN!! lol Guess I'm just lucky

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.