primer question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2009, 11:58 AM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

primer question

I am doing body work on my maverick. There are some areas that I am having to sand to bare metal. I was wondering if there was any spray can primer that I could use to stop rust from coming back. I have seen the automobile primer at walmart and was wondering if it was any good

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

Most of the spray can "sand-able" primers are porous and absorb and hold water=rust.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:33 PM

Last photo:

nope, not really. Most of the spray can primers on the hardware shelf are going to be lacquer based primer, and will provide practically no protection.
You really need a 2 part epoxy, and that doesn't come in a spray can, or found on a walmart shelf. Well they do make an epoxy in a spray can, links have been posted on here in the past to various manufacturers of it, but is aweful pricey for the amount you would get, and would have to use it all up at once I believe, since once opened you only have limited pot life before it hardens being activated.
How large are these spots. Some possibilitys if you don't have access to a spray gun and compressor for smaller spots to get them protected is to use a preval sprayer to apply the mixed epoxy,(available at harbor freight for about 5 bucks) or to brush it on, allowing it plenty of time to flash since you will have a lot of solvent buildup brush applied. They also have refillable aerosol cans at harbor freight, though I've never tried one being as I've always had a compressor. Or maybe a refillable air tank (fill tank at the gas station) would be able to power a small touchup gun with very modest air requirements, enough to do a small spot or two. I have used an airtank limitedly with an airbrush and it sprayed.
All of these probably wouldn't lay down the greatest and would probably require a bit of sanding to level out and wouldn't work well for a very large area. But where there is a will there is a way.
If you don't have a compressor, and really plan to do any amount of bodywork, a compressor and a decent spray gun the compressor is able to power, is one of the first investments you should make, the best you can afford. It will soon pay for itself. The ability to run some power tools can really save time, and paint and bodywork is time consuming enough as it is. And the best activated materials to produce a long lasting job require a spray gun and compressor to be applied well.

Kinda dig those Mavericks, I hardly ever see any around these parts.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Administrator

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7314

There are newer 2-part epoxy primers in spray cans. The activator is released into the primer by inserting a plunger into a stem on the bottom of the spray can. As kenseth17 mentioned, they are expensive, and have a limited pot life.

See this wiki article for more details: Epoxy primer.

Also, see this thread: Solvent resistant real 2k epoxy aerosol can.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:24 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

They make a spray can wash prime that will help a lot on rust coming thru. After a 5 mn dry you can prime with a spray can primer. Not as good as priming with a 2k and a gun but will work.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:24 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

I have a compressor and gun but wanted to go the easy way I suppose. I plan on priming the whole car next week with real primer. I really don't want to do the bodywork again
Old 09-26-2009, 08:41 PM
Last photo:

The only solution you have is to keep the car indoors in a dry environment while you are working on it to prevent rust. Upon the point to where you are satisfied with your body work apply a couple of heavy wet coats of a quality epoxy primer then follow that with a couple of good coats of 2K primer/surfacer for final block sanding. I WOULD NOT EVEN CONSIDER USING A WASH PRIMER, they cause more problems than they are worth.

And I agree, there are no rattle can primers that are worth a flip, except for the mentioned 2K rattle can primer.

Vince
Old 09-27-2009, 01:01 AM
0.....55.../100

I had this same question. I'm mainly looking for something I can apply to keep the rust away while I work on my project. I don't mind using a brush or roller for a temp job, but I would like some advice on what to use. Also, what about sprays with rust inhibitors like Rustoleum? Are they worth a crap?
Old 09-27-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMR
I had this same question. I'm mainly looking for something I can apply to keep the rust away while I work on my project. I don't mind using a brush or roller for a temp job, but I would like some advice on what to use. Also, what about sprays with rust inhibitors like Rustoleum? Are they worth a crap?
No. Use epoxy. Do youre bodywork panel at a time then epoxy/prime.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMR
Also, what about sprays with rust inhibitors like Rustoleum? Are they worth a crap?
Advertising hype.

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.