Primer question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2003, 10:12 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Primer question

The doors on my truck were in bad shape with lots of rust and
dents. I had them dipped to kill all the rust and then added patch pannels to the bottoms. The question is, it took 1/2 gal of primer
and about 50 hrs. of sanding to get doors perfect. Is that to much primer if so will it crack like someone said the 3 1/2 gal of
paint would on another thread. Sure glad the rest of the truck is
in good shape compaired to the doors.
Thanks
Loy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2003, 10:33 PM

Hello there I was wondering if you used a half gallon of primer mixed or a half gallon sprayed? either way that sounds like a lot considering most manufactrures recommend a 3 mil build but it really depends on how much primer was block sanded off end swept up off the floor I have really loaded primer onto panels and sanded most of it off to make sure I filled all the sanding scratches etc. the important part of any paint job isn't exactly how much paint was used but exactly how much "film build" is on the panel. In any case most primers shrink with time so a really heavy buildup could crack over time but usually the biggest problem with too much is easy chipping at edges and lines after the finish is applied. Good luck....Tim
Old 10-15-2003, 11:05 PM

have you had alot of experience with bondo work. what happens to most people is they overwork the job. they chase little things all over panel. probably put some on sanded some off but it wasn't enough there so you still have low spot, on & on & on it goes. normally want to straighten the edge first & work in filling & grating as bondo is soft set-can leave light white line when scratched with fingernail. rough shape fill in next coat, i use half round even on flats. use long strokes so not digging anywhere you thing is high i don't sand till whole door is build high. then i take 15-17" flat air sander , best labor saver, or get long flat sheet sander or wrap 40 grit on paint stick if nothing else. as it sand it goes over & you can see highspot by cross sanding last set of scratches or to help see it you can spray quik dry cheap spray paint - high spots are first thing hit & paint dissapears. hit metal you know thats as far or low as everything can go. just make it level all over. do this with grater then 40 grit than 80 all by hand. you can fill with heavy primer -wet sand with 220 after spray can mist again & you are block sanding like a pro and bet you are looking for another project with 40 extra hours you have to play. most people use little 6" hand block & dig with it not knowing. if you do this sanding method with bondo you primer block sanding will be alot easier. it is just some little tricks & a knack like laying down glass like clear coats- anyone can do it, especially with some help, i ain't no better just done that ***** before. jwart

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.