Hot Rod Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

primer questions

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  jss 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys so I had to do a little dent repair on my car.

front fender. long story short the pictures you see is my 2k primer.
which I blocked with 320 then wet sanded with 600
both steps with 3m guide coat.

question now is I have burn through in a few spots and not sure if I should just spray can some etch or do a full sealer coat.

keep me in mind this is not a metal burn through. just to original paint burn.

I worry about when I apply my base coat shrinkage etc

reason why I am asking these questions is that I find the sealer adds a texture finish compared to the nice smooth 600 finish of the current stage of 2k primer.

your thoughts would be great. kinda pulling my hair out thinking what to do .

paint will be black. and full wet sand and buff after forsure

See less See more
#2 ·
Prime those small spots again.... no need to put on heavy or thick. .. just two good coats. .. then sand with 400 - 600 sandpaper ... just easy not to burn thru again....i dont know what you sander the undercoats with...

Sealer isn't supposed TO be texture... it should dry flat and smooth .... are you mixing it thoroughly ??? Put it in a shaker and shake it for a few minutes... use the right reducer for the right temperature....

#6 ·
I just shot epoxy sealer with 1.3 gun. I really don't like finish most would think its ok and base will do the rest but I like to put some more effort

I think tomorw will just wet sand with some 800 and call it a day. your thoughts?

#9 ·
Are you saying you dont like the finish of the sealer? Too much orange peel? Dry? Rough? Too much trash??

Cleanliness follows you everywhere you go.... and confidence will better your skills...

Spray sealer wet on wet... let it flash on its recommended time. .. due to temperature ...again...use the right reducer... which for what your spraying.. a fender only... use fast reducer... you do not need to pile sealer on....

Sealer is designed to cover sandscratches from 320 - 800' ....

You only need 1 - 2 coats of sealer... it'll dry smooth like base coat if sprayed right.....

You have up to 24 hours to topcoat sealer...thats the window you have.. still always read the tech sheet...

Some sealers are sandable' and some are not....

I usually spray my color on top of the sealer after enough flash time.. then get you a bucket of fresh water and a ultra fine sandpaper such as a 1000 grit.... and you can sand the nibs or pieces of imperfections then re-base (non sandable sealers)

Sand with a flexible block... do not dig into the finish or it will show up when you clear... let the sandpaper do its work.... dry it off once everything is sanded smooth..

If you burn through... dont panic... just re-basecoat'...

****Remember to use a tack cloth between coats. ....****

Before you even think about clearcoating...look over the entire panel to make sure you have enough coverage of color..all nibs are out....and there's no water that crept into any crevices...

Most of all.... take your time...realize all painters make mistakes ....what separates a painter from a sprayer...is a sprayer will spray on top of anything and keep ggoing... a painter will stop and fix stuff... good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.