Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - primer sank worse than the TITANIC!!!
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 05:53 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Yeah I though you were an aussi or a britt....
The first thing I'd do is call or email SPI to see if you can have it sent.....If not ,Glasurit would be my second choice but grab ahold of something tight when you get a price....
Its hard to tell how long a resto will take just to get to paint but first I would chem strip it to see how much damage is being covered up by paint and you never know what your going to find...Usually what I do is get a set price for stripping to metal and getting it into 2 good coats of epoxy...Once its stripped to the metal I'll check it out real good then call the customer back and show him what we found explain how we'll fix it and how much it will cost...
I'd allow a week for a good stripping job that includes all the jambs and epoxy but not the back side of doors,hood or deck,all that will be two weeks.
I have an old porche in the shop and I noticed a couple cracks in the paint so I explained that before I gave him a price I'd have to find out why those cracks were there and discovered over an 1 1/2 " of bondo in the entire 1/4 panel, some one did very poor repair by splicing a rear section but the new section was cut about an inch short then a filler piece was added so there was two seams running down. so it need a 1/4 for a proper repair once the customer saw this he understood completely how much work was involved and why I couldn't give a solid price first ,It would be like giving a price over the phone without even looking at the car...
When the car comes in send some pics it sounds like a nice project..
Heres some of what you run into sooner or later...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7621.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	64351   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7623.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	648.8 KB
ID:	64352   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7619.JPG
Views:	462
Size:	966.3 KB
ID:	64353  

Last edited by deadbodyman; 03-26-2012 at 06:22 PM.