Primer spots and rattle cans???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2004, 07:50 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Bondo spots w/ rattle can Primer????

I have a small rack that had some dents on it so I bead blasted it then filled the spots with filler, Bondo. As par for the course I have sport lifting through the primer so I know it is going to go through the paint. Is there a way to seal it without breaking out the paint gun?
Can I shoot some clear and let it dry then paint or is there a sealer in a rattle can that I can get? It is a little rack the goes on back a scooter and is like 6" X 10" and not worth me dirtying up a gun.

Advertisement

Last edited by daimon1054; 07-23-2004 at 10:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2004, 12:39 PM

Last photo:

Do you mean the filler is staining? Or just showing because it was not blocked?
Old 07-23-2004, 02:58 PM

Yes the filler I guess is sucking up the pigment or what ever. When I do other projects I spray epoxy or a ready to spray sealer but I am trying to go the lazy route.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:36 AM

Last photo:

Short cuts rarely work or save time as you just found out.
Spray some primer over the filler and be done with it.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:55 AM

I am gonna have to break out the gun, I put the filler then used a high build primer from a can to get it smooth then a sandable primer again from a can all giving plenty of drying time. then 3 coats of black and 3 clear again all rattle can but the spot still comes up. So as you said the short cut just made me more work, it's back to the bead blaster but this time I am going to encapsulate the filler in epoxy primer.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:46 PM

Last photo:

Never will forget, first day at a chev dealer in Ocala FL back in 70's
I was painter for 4 bodymen and first day on job you want to make an impression! I sure did, one old bodyman came up to me about 2:00 as he was watching me and he said
"Hurry-up and wait"
I had no idea what he was talking about and he explained just clam down and forget the shortcuts or you will be waiting to do them over.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:42 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,218 Times in 1,075 Posts
One of my first jobs was in the late seventies at a full on restoration shop. Hanging on the wall all over the shop was a sign which read

"Why is there never time to do it right, but always time to do it over?"

I still have one of those signs on the wall in my garage, it says a lot.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:51 AM

thats my new saying
Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Martinsr. That is a great sentimentallity. I am going to use that in the christmas cards that I send to all the old A Hole bosses I used to have that cracked the whip to hurry one along. Dang crackers anyhow.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:41 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

rattle can primer is horrible for a lot of reasons. It's usually lacquer based, has no hardener, nor helps with sand scratches. I've worked at a place for a short time where they wanted a lot of small dings spot rattle canned and 80 grit is simply not it's friend. If you use rattle can you have to start with 120. I personally don't like doing that kind of work and so to make the decision easier for my boss to go with the good primer I simply don't care much for my primer gun. It's very fast to quickly mask, spray your primer, and gargle your gun and clean it half arse til at least you know dry pieces of crap won't spit out the gun next time or passages are comprimised. Seems like once I started dogging up my gun It wasn't viewed as such a task to do it right. My gun is filthy on the outside but for gargling the gun it sprays good and on the rare occasion I will have to empty out fresh primer and re-gargle it for a minute and then spray.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Unless of course you are talking about the REAL 2K urethane and epoxy rattle cans that are now out there. Click here for my review on an ALL aerosol repair that rivals the "real thing"! I would have posted this when the original poster asked his question but it didn't exist yet.

Brian
Old 04-24-2011, 08:38 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

didn't realize they have epoxy in a can. I honestly expect "some" rattle can stuff to get better due to environmental regulations and to lower voc's. I can't recall what it is but there's some funky environmental law that states wax and grease remover in a rattle can lowers voc's, or something like that. I recall an icar teacher telling us that for the voc regulation/ ref 1 class. Not sure if it's plastic cleaner or wax and grease remover.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 AM

Last photo:

Henry note that not only was the epoxy primer REAL epoxy primer in a rattle can so was the Urethane clear! The filler primer wasn't urethane it was an "ISO free" 2K like PPGs NCP primer.

I don't believe there are any "VOC Free" wax and grease removers (I could be wrong) I think it is all about the delivery system. Sort of like how you can brush on a primer and it has less VOC than if you spray it because it isn't being atomized. The wax and grease VOC rules are similar. Back in the early stages of our California VOC rules (started in 1993 by the "Clean Air Act") you had to have it in a squirt bottle. "Sloshing" it out of a gallon can was made non-compliant because you are, well sloshing it, without regard for how much used and it exposed more of it for evaporation and of course more VOC. Funny thing is about this law is it saves shops money and we still *****ed about it.

I remember years ago we had a five gallon can of W&G remover and we would slosh it out onto a rag spilling more than we got on the rag! One time the owners son who was about 16 who cleaned the shop sat on the can soaking his pants in W&G remover! He was running round the shop rubbing his butt for a little while before he took off for home to lay in a cold bathtub for hours! LOL, that was about 1982 and I run into him now and again and we still laugh about it.

The cats meow is the pump bottles for your Wax and Grease remover.

Brian
Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 AM
put up or shut up

Last photo:

They now have tiny versions of those that are pretty bad arse. You can actually buy them out of the industry. Just needs to be rated for solvents and have special o rings. I found one for only $15.

I think this teacher also told me that since lacquer thinner has lots of voc's we have switched to acetone which isn't under their scrutiny yet. Isn't acetone worse? Hopefully the hippies don't notice. I do not want to be wiping a car down with flower pedals!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

Acetone has Zero VOC because it is heavy, it doesn't go up in to the air, it goes down. Of course it will be screwing up our drinking water and they will ban it one day.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.