Primering The Body/Frame By Yourself...Questions... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2005, 06:08 PM

Last journal entry: I'm Baaack!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Primering The Body/Frame By Yourself...Questions...

Hey,
I was considering primering the body/frame of my 1934 Chevy myself. I have a few questions regarding this.

1) Do you recommend it?
2) How hard is it to do?
3) Do you need to do it in a painting booth?
4) What supplies do you need (What kind of spray gun, etc.)
5) What steps can you take to make sure that the primer goes on nicely?

I have never painted/primered a car before, so I wasn't really sure about this.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks!!
-MM

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Last photo:

Anybody that has enough interest and patience can do this work. It sounds like you are totally new to this and my first suggestion would be to read as much info here as possible. Choose your product line and refer to the technical sheets for application and safety concerns, ask questions here. It would be impossible to list the step by step proceedures in detail on one post. Study up and see if this is something you want to tackle. Bob
Old 09-13-2005, 06:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Anybody that has enough interest and patience can do this work. It sounds like you are totally new to this and my first suggestion would be to read as much info here as possible. Choose your product line and refer to the technical sheets for application and safety concerns, ask questions here. It would be impossible to list the step by step proceedures in detail on one post. Study up and see if this is something you want to tackle. Bob
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I am totally new to painting. haha.

I will be sure and do some reading!

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2005, 07:45 PM
old car nut

Last photo:

Bob:
I right in read up on everything and also check into power coating. It is a doable option and works well. I use Imron on my frames, some people use POR15 and there are special chasisis paints but since you are building a rod what color are you going to use. black or body color? Make sure you get all the work done before you do the frame and i mean holes and welding and brackets. You are on the right track. Are you using a stock frame or tube and are you going to box it?
Don't be afraid to try things and see how they come out.
Jan
Old 09-13-2005, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquecar
Bob:
I right in read up on everything and also check into power coating. It is a doable option and works well. I use Imron on my frames, some people use POR15 and there are special chasisis paints but since you are building a rod what color are you going to use. black or body color? Make sure you get all the work done before you do the frame and i mean holes and welding and brackets. You are on the right track. Are you using a stock frame or tube and are you going to box it?
Don't be afraid to try things and see how they come out.
Jan
Hey,
Thanks for the reply! I am using the stock 34' Frame, and I am going to box it. I am planning on painting it black.

I have heard about this Por-15 stuff, but I was wondering if you thought it would be a better idea to sandblast the frame/chassis, then prime it and paint it, rather than use Por-15 right over the rust.

Thanks again!
-MM
Old 09-14-2005, 05:15 AM
Last photo:

Take some advice from some one who has been there and done that. I used PPG DPLF74 epoxy primer on the frame of my 34 Ford and black Imron over that. I would not use either of those products again. The DPLF74 epoxy primer is not at all durable and has adhesion and solvent resistance problems. The Imron is a newer formulation that bears no resemblance to the Imron of old that everybody remembers. In hindsight I would prime my bare frame with Southern Polyurethane self etching epoxy primer and then top coat that with a good base coat/clear.

You can do it, just plan your steps, employ safety measures to protect your health and you will be fine.

Once my frame was stripped of everything that I could take off of it I placed it on two saw horses. I then went over the entire frame with a flap disk smoothing it up and exposing nice clean metal. On all the nooks and crannies you will have to use a wire brush and hand sand paper. Clean it to excess with a good prep cleaner then clean it again. Shoot it with a good grade epoxy primer. Follow the epoxy primer manufactures guide before you top coat it. There are some picks of my frame in my photo gallery.

Vince
Old 09-14-2005, 05:47 AM

Last photo:

Chances are your frame is pitted from rust. I would sandblast it then prime with epoxy primer followed with a polyester primer like Evercoats featherfill 2G or slicksand then sand it smooth. Polyester primers work great for filling in these pitted areas and the Featherfill 2G is available in black. If I were doing it and knew the end color was going to be black I'd use a black epoxy primer like SPI, black featherfill2G, more black epoxy then a single stage black urethane. This way if there is any chipping down the road the paint chips will be less likely to show up. I wouldn't clearcoat the frame as any future scratches would show as white. Sandblasting is the perfect prep for these old frames IMO, leaves a nice texture for primer to adhere to. Bob

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.