primering my car by myself - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2006, 05:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

primering my car by myself

hey i have a red 84 camaro that the paint is in decent condition, but on the rear fender bodywork was done so it has a grey patch of primer and the bumpers faded into a different shade of red.

basically i was looking into using rattle cans to spray the whole car primer black. i have black tinted windows and chrome wheels on it right now and i figured having the car be complete 1 color would be better than where its at now. i dont ever plan on having it be a showcar or anything and i have a 383 stroker in my garage im working on so its just gonna be my street/strip project.

so my questions are-

does the temp outside matter? because its like 35 degrees outside.
should i sand the factory paint at all?

*** im 17 years old and am impatient

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

If you want the primer to stick you are going to have to sand the car. It also needs to be warmer to paint or apply the primer.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Last photo:

And whatever you do, do not use rattle can primer. It is one of the worst bases for a paint job there is. The stuff will need to be completely removed before a decent paint job can go on it.

Vince
Old 12-01-2006, 08:57 PM
X711

Last photo:

You will need to scuff beyond the existing area first.

You need to use a 2k primer, rattle can primer is useless as a
priming solution for cars !

><
Old 12-02-2006, 12:04 AM

thanks for the advice so far, i am probably gonna be able to use my grandpas airgun to spray it instead of using cans
Old 12-02-2006, 07:13 AM

Last photo:

With lacquer or spray can products, temp doesn't matter so much if you can keep it from running. They never really cure all the way through anyways, but if cold may be stay sticky till it warms up. They are soluble and a wipe of solvent will soften and remove them. With activated products, you need to stay above 60, you need this temp for the activator to work. Activated products will be much more durable, won't resoften, and cure all the way through. They will provide far better protection and longevity. This is way you don't see too many good paint and body places using lacquer and unactivated products today with the much better urethanes and epoxys around. I don't see anything really wrong with spraying the car with rattle can, as long as the bodywork area has good protection as well as the rest of the car having a good protective base. Rattle can paints and primers won't give protection and metal areas will rust under lacquer primer. Lacquer primer also can give mapping around bodywork areas. http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/re...ping/index.cfm If you spray bombed the whole thing, you would have to sand all that junk off before a "real" paint job or it may cause you problems. But with the price of spray bombs to do a car with, might as well just save up and do it right the first time. The amount of spray cans to paint a car, you could get a cheaper activated paint at about the same price, and it will be far better gloss and lasting. Save up for when you got the money and equipment to do it right, and just make sure you somehow get the bodywork area protected with epoxy. You could brush it on or use a preval sprayer if you absolutely had to, but sounds like gramps has got something you can work with.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:51 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302/Z28
And whatever you do, do not use rattle can primer. It is one of the worst bases for a paint job there is. The stuff will need to be completely removed before a decent paint job can go on it.

Vince
Rattlecan primer works fine. I've used it for the last 20 years, no problems. It works especially well for spot jobs.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:00 PM

Last photo:

trust who you want. Do an experiment. Paint two bare metal panels, one with epoxy (but give it a chance to do it curing), one with lacquer primer. . Leave them sit outside exposed to the elements for awhile and for kicks throw some road salt or some chemicals on them.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tab
Rattlecan primer works fine. I've used it for the last 20 years, no problems. It works especially well for spot jobs.
Spoken by someone who truly knows little to NOTHING about paint or painting.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.