Primers - Cant Sand Substrate - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 11:25 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Primers - Cant Sand Substrate

So I’ve recently been busy building my 30x50 Shop…sheet rocking the interior now, but I recently came across and got some REALLY Nice & Heavy Duty Commercial/Industrial Cabinets with 6” Drawers..whole whack of them for free-99. Beautiful & Rugged Cabinets which I would like to use to make a “tool box wall” for lack of better terms, biggest problem is the color, they are all that “Office Equipment Tan” color. SOOOO, I’d like to paint em Red or Black…maybe both, issue here is the steel shell is “Textured” like a refrigerator, basically I see that and see un-sandable. The factory paint/powder coat is solid, no problem other than the color. Is there any primer which I can use without pre-sanding? Self Etch? Epoxy? Something else? I’d rather not dump crazy money into it…I’m thinkin Prime then Paint with Shopline Urethane Single Stage and enjoy them.
Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Scuff with a red scuff pad and epoxy primer, it won't go anywhere.

Brian
Old 06-18-2013, 03:53 PM

Last photo:

Checked out AG 111 in red it's an anti-graffiti coating, tough as nails, can be applied with a roller since you're ready have a textured finish. As Brian noted scuff it up with the pad, wipe it with the corresponding thinner, and paint.A premeasured quart of red is less than 50 bucks.It also comes in different colors. Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:07 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Sorry Pat...I don't mean to disagree with what you posted but thinner isn't the product of choice...I'm glad you said corresponding because that would mean a pre cleaner...I'm thinking of the OP...thinner, as in lacquer thinner before painting often isn't a good idea. I hope I didn't offend, just trying to clarify.

Ray
Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Ray. Using an lacquer thinner with a urethane is usually a disaster. The solvent for the AG line this particular to that type of urethane. We usually encourage people to order the appropriate thinner or solvent for this type of coating . This is usually why its sold in kits Again thanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:49 PM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

anything you paint them with will not be tough as nails
can't beat powder coat for tools boxes
you will have quite a bit in paint when your finished

but if you insist, do like martinsr suggests
we get a lot of powder coated electrical boxes to paint
we scuff with red using wax and grease as a lubricant/cleaner
you will need to prime then paint, paint will not stick to powder coat
Old 06-18-2013, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

is this tough enough?

Okay if you think that primer is required, good.would you suggest a urethane or epoxy primer?
Beginning in 1976, all through the mid-80’s, a fleet of 6500 NYCTA subway cars were coated with AG111 to combat the corrosion and graffiti problems. After 18 months of testing, AG111 was the only coating that could withstand repeated vigorous scrubbings and washings with heavy bristle brushes and strong solvents. Seven enclosed car wash facilities washed 400 cars a week. A solvent/alkali cleaner was sprayed on and allowed to soak 5-8 minutes. The car then passed through a wash machine where it was thoroughly scrubbed and put through three rinses.
AG111 cures to a hard mirror-like finish, which other paints cannot penetrate. According to the NYCTA spokesman, after the 18 month test, the subway cars retained their gloss and shine after each washing, and all traces of graffiti disappeared. “The cars looked like they had just been through the paint shop,” the spokesman said. Now a quart kit does 120 ft.² and it'll cover in one coat.

Last edited by Pats55; 06-18-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:59 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I'd just clean W&G, scuff (red pad) spray an adheasion promoter (222 or bulldog) and shoot the dang paint..No primer.....
Old 06-19-2013, 06:18 AM

Last photo:

I agree, I don't think a primer is necessary. This stuff is pretty sticky. Yesterday I painted the floor plans on the 55 with the silver then the AG 2000 gloss black. The car is red, I should have painted the floor pan red.I have some wagon wheels that are powder coated and look like crap so today I'm going to put epoxy primer, urethane primer and AG 111 and see who sticks to what.The AG 2000 seems to have good adhesion also. Well I will know in a weeks time what the scoop is.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:02 AM

Last photo:

Good tips, I hadnt even considered an "alternative" paint like AG111... Satin Black & IH Red or JD Green are essentially what I'd be going for anyways. I was gonna use the leftover GM Fire Red Shopline Urethane I have at home. But if AG111 fits the bill, might just splurge on it and go with a 2 tone box.

I could have em blasted & powdered, but IMO I didnt want to dump that kind of money on it...might investigate it for the hell of it. These boxes are just for a few years..I'd really prefer a Macsimizer but until my wife goes back to work, wont happen.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
I'd just clean W&G, scuff (red pad) spray an adheasion promoter (222 or bulldog) and shoot the dang paint..No primer.....
I think you are right, primer is a serious overkill, we are talking about cabinets here not a hood that is going to be going down the highway at 70. Scuff it and get it painted.

Brian
Old 06-19-2013, 02:44 PM

Last photo:

Well if you should consider the AG 111 PM me and I will try to use my influence to get you taken care of. Nobody hates buying paint more than I do. Thanks for your consideration. Pat

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.